United Kingdom

Marble Arch Mound is made FREE for visitors as council chiefs drop £8 entrance charge

Visitors in August won't have to pay to go up the much-ridiculed Marble Arch Mound when it reopens on Monday.

Westminster Council has already apologised for the botched launch of the £2million artificial hill, which closed last week after just two days.

Tourists were charged up to £8 to climb the 82ft mound, which was billed as offering lush greenery and views across central London. 

But visitors slammed the attraction, describing it as just a heap of scaffolding with turf and some trees.

Westminster Council has already apologised for the botched launch of the £2million Marble Arch Mound (pictured), which closed last week after just two days

Yesterday, the council's Labour leader Adam Hug said it had 'brought shame on Westminster across the world'.

He called on the council to say why the mound was allowed to open and how much it will cost taxpayers in total. Westminster Council was contacted for comment.

Last week, Westminster Council's chief executive Stuart Love said in a statement: 'We're very sorry that the Marble Arch Mound wasn't ready for visitors when it opened earlier this week.

'London's businesses and residents have suffered through the pandemic and we built the Mound as part of our bigger plan to get people back into the City and into the shops, restaurants, theatres and to see the amazing sights the West End has to offer.

The 82-ft tall mound, planned by Dutch architect company MVRDV, was designed (pictured) to give views of the capital's Oxford Street, Hyde Park, Mayfair and Marylebone 

'We wanted to open the Mound in time for the summer holidays and we did not want to disappoint people who had already booked tickets.

'We made a mistake and we apologise to everyone who hasn't had a great experience on their visit.

'With that in mind we're going to make The Mound free for everyone to climb throughout August.'

He added: 'We are very much looking forward to welcoming visitors back so they can enjoy everything London has to offer and can make their mind up about the Mound.'

The 82-ft tall mound, planned by Dutch architect company MVRDV, was designed to give views of the capital's Oxford Street, Hyde Park, Mayfair and Marylebone.

It is part of a scheme to increase footfall in the shopping district as lockdown restrictions ease.

Football news:

Ferguson compared Ronaldo to Caesar after a double in the 1st match for Manchester United after returning: He came, saw, won
Judge Aytekin on the removal of Daoud for the go-ahead: We deserve minimal respect. Hummels also did not approve of the behavior of his Borussia partner
The Premier League will discuss the fight against racism with Lukaku. The Belgian doubts the effectiveness of kneeling
Juventus have missed out in 20 consecutive Serie A rounds. The club's anti-record is 21 matches in 1955
Dybala was injured and left the field in tears. He opened the scoring in the match with Sampdoria
Perin plays in the goal of Juventus for the first time in 2.5 years. The club has conceded in 19 consecutive Serie A matches
Allegri has his 400th match in Serie A as a coach. He has 243 wins and 79 draws