United Kingdom

Man, 33, allegedly slit 10-year-old boy's throat, stabbed two adults and ran over a young girl

A would-be killer deliberately ran down a little girl, slashed a schoolboy's throat and stabbed two adults in a series of random attacks, a court heard.

Carlos Vinodchandra Racitalal allegedly carried out the knife assaults in Belgrave, Leicester, by approaching from behind - similar to 'commando-type killings' seen in the movies, a court heard.

The 33-year-old defendant, formerly of Finsbury Road, Belgrave, denies four counts of attempted murder and three counts of possessing knives in public, between January 2 and January 18.

Racitalal's alleged actions were described at Leicester Crown Court as 'calculated and deliberate' with intent to kill.

The five-year-old girl was run over in a city supermarket car park as she held her grandfather's hand.

The 10-year-old boy had a 10cm (3.9inch) slash wound across his neck.

A mother in her 30's was also knifed on the head as she walked home with her children, aged three and six.

A ten-year-old boy was stabbed on Belper Street, Leicester. Pictured: Police at the scene in January

And a man in his 70's was repeatedly slashed in the street. 

Prosecutor, Christopher Donnellan QC said the collision involving the girl was at about 11.30am on Thursday January 2 as the defendant was driving a black Vauxhall Corsa out of an Asda car park.

Racitalal was allegedly going 'too fast,' at about 20mph, and in the wrong lane.

The five-year-old was suddenly 'wrenched' from her granddad's left hand when struck from behind.

She was 'launched mid air' and landed face down, said the prosecutor.

Her distressed grandfather 'feared the worst' when he did not see her moving, the jury was told.

The prosecutor added: 'Fortunately, she cried and he was able to see she was still alive.'

Shoppers rushed to help and a supermarket employee followed the defendant's Corsa and banged on the window as he was pulling out of the car park exit, but Racitalal allegedly ignored him and drove off.

The child received facial injuries and was taken to hospital by an ambulance.

On Tuesday January 14, a mother was walking along the street with her six-year-old son, pushing her three-year-old child in a buggy.

A map showing the incidents dotted around the Leicester area over a 16-day period

She felt a blow on the back of her head and saw someone holding a yellow-handled knife with a silver blade and realised she had been stabbed.

Mr Donnellan said: 'The person didn't say anything and didn't take anything.

'She didn't see where he came from or where he went.

'Mercifully her injuries weren't life threatening but she was taken to hospital for treatment.'

A man in his 70's was then 'brutally' attacked as he walked along Dean Road on Thursday January 16, the court heard.

Mr Donnellan said: 'The defendant used a large knife to attack him, striking him around the head more than once, causing nasty wounds.

'He was particularly vulnerable having previously suffered a stroke and suffered from asthma.

'The injuries caused him to lose a lot of blood but mercifully the wounds weren't fatal.

On Saturday January 18, a mother was parking her car while her 10-year-old son was on the pavement just after 5pm.

The prosecutor said: 'The defendant came across and put one hand on the boy's shoulder and drew the knife across his neck, cutting it open, leaving a 10cm gash, cutting into the muscle below the skin.

'Fortunately none of the major blood vessels were severed and it did not prove fatal.'

He was treated at the scene, taken to hospital and underwent surgery.

Mr Donnellan said: 'On each occasion he launched unprovoked attacks to either a child or an adult - each was defenceless.

'The last attack revealed that intention because of the way it was carried out.

'It was luck, not judgement, that enabled the boy to survive.

'No-one could judge the depth of a child's neck in the dark from behind like that.'

Of the alleged stabbings, the prosecutor said they were carried out silently and had 'All the hallmarks of brutal commando-type killings we see in the movies, being attacked from behind.

'His actions were calculated and deliberate.'

The prosecutor added: 'Why did he do this? We may never know.

'The prosecution doesn't have to prove a motive or a reason why they did something like this or why they had a motive to kill.

'The lack of success on each occasion doesn't affect his intention.

'On each occasion he left the scene and didn't do anything to check on them or get help. 

The prosecutor said: 'He denies the offences, denies being the person carrying out the (knife) attacks on the three people.

'We say you can be sure it was him and that he was the driver of the car that hit (the little girl).'

The defendant is claiming that if his car collided with the young girl, it was not deliberate.

The trial continues. 

Football news:

Mourinho on 0:0 with Chelsea: if anyone should have won, it was Tottenham. The players in the dressing room are not happy and it's fantastic
Lampard on 0:0 with Tottenham: Chelsea did enough to win. I'm glad we didn't miss out
Pape Bouba Diop, the author of Senegal's goal against France at the 2002 world Cup, has died. He was 42 years old
Langle injured his ankle in Barca's game with Osasuna. 21-year-old Minghesa is the only Central defender without injuries
De Gea injured his leg when he hit the post. He can return to the game against PSG on Wednesday
Cavani was the second to score 3 (2+1) points for Manchester United, coming on as a substitute in the Premier League. Solskjaer did poker in 1999
Antoine Griezmann: Barcelona want to be Champions. The path will not be easy