United Kingdom

Former soldier stepped on Manchester Arena bomber by accident as he hid from CCTV, inquiry hears

A former soldier stood on the Manchester Arena bomber by accident as he was hiding, the inquiry has heard.

Martin McGuffie, who had served with the Queen's Lancashire Regiment for 22 years, was a civilian at the time and is now a police officer in Manchester.

He was acting as 'dad's cabs' for his wife and daughter who were at the concert and decided it was too far to go back home.

Instead he decided to sit and wait for them in the City Room and read a book until the concert finished.

Towards the end of the concert PC McGuffie decided to go and look for a toilet and literally stepped on Salman Abedi, he said.

'I was startled, I said, 'f**king hell'. I just wondered what he was doing there,' he told the inquiry.

Abedi asked him if he was looking for a toilet and told him the nearest one was in the station - where he is thought to have primed his bomb.

Former soldier Martin McGuffie, pictured, said he accidentally stood on suicide bomber Salman Abedi as he was 'hiding' in a CCTV blind spot dressed all in black with a rucksack

He was sitting on the ground dressed all in black, wearing a baseball cap and glasses, and with a rucksack behind him and both arms through the straps.

PC McGuffie said: 'I just thought why is he there? I only had 10 minutes or so before I knew the concert would finish so I needed to get down to the station to get to the toilet and then get back to my wife and daughter.'

At the time he thought it was 'very unusual' and 'very strange' that he was there, and immediately afterwards he came to the conclusion Abedi was hiding, and told a police officer.

'He was definitely trying to stay out of sight, there was no other reason for him to be there,' PC McGuffie told the inquiry.

CCTV images shown to the inquiry display Mr McGuffie in the red square (top image) as Abedi enters the foyer (red circle) before Mr McGuffie moves to a merchandise stand to stretch his legs

Mr McGuffie (red square) returned to reading his book on the bench as Abedi (red circle) re-entered the City Room. Mr McGuffie then walked up to mezzanine where he stood on Abedi

The spot where Salman Abedi hid from CCTV by sitting on the ground where he was stood on by Martin McGuffie while looking for a toilet before the concert ended at Manchester Arena

'It's a transport hub and there could have been numerous people walking around with large rucksacks on but for him to be sitting there was a bit strange.'

He was still standing in the City Room foyer when the bomb went off and was injured in the blast.

He evacuated his family from the area as fast he could, but stopped to tell a British Transport Police sergeant about the suspicious man, which was recorded in his notebook.

It comes after another father who was also waiting to collect his daughters told the inquiry the bomber looked 'like a Bond villain' and a 'terrorist' moments before he set off his devastating rucksack device.

Neil Hatfield was waiting to collect his four daughters after Ariana Grande's concert on May 22, 2017, when he saw a young man 'in the process of lying down'.

He told the inquiry that he 'thought 'suicide bomber' straight away' and had 'very little doubt' after seeing the man - now known to be bomber Salman Abedi - with a 'rock solid' backpack.

Mr Hatfield, whose daughters were injured but survived the attack, was approaching a staircase to the raised mezzanine level of the City Room foyer about 10 minutes before the explosion at 10.31pm when he saw Abedi.

The Manchester Arena suicide bomber looked 'like a Bond villain' and a 'terrorist' moments before he set off his devastating rucksack device, witness Neil Hatfield told the inquiry into the terror attack

Mr Hatfield (pictured on the night of the attack)was waiting to collect his four daughters after the Ariana Grande concert on May 22, 2017, when he saw a young man 'in the process of lying down'

He said the bomber was dressed all in black, wearing white trainers, with a backpack on the floor next to him. 

Abedi was 'totally disconnected from his bag' and had his hands or elbows on the floor - as if he 'was trying to protect the bag and not touch it', Mr Hatfield said.

Mr Hatfield looked Abedi in the eye and said he was 'emotionally distressed' and looked 'scared'. 

Mr Hatfield told the inquiry: 'I noticed straightaway that whatever was in the bag was solid.

'It was rock solid and that's what alarmed me. Alarm bells in my head just went straight away.

'I thought 'suicide bomber' straight away, [with] very little doubt in my mind.

'My heart was racing. He looked like a terrorist.

'I don't know how to explain it, like a Bond villain. It was the bag, it was massive.'

Mr Hatfield looked Abedi (pictured shortly before the attack) in the eye and said he was 'emotionally distressed' and looked 'scared' 

He said he tried to convince himself the man on the mezzanine level was not a bomber but it was 'constantly on his mind' as he then saw two security guards below who appeared to be in conversation.

The young man was sitting on the top step of the stairs when he next turned round to check on him, said Mr Hatfield.

He said: 'As far as I knew they knew he was there and were talking about him and they were going to do something about it.

'It sort of gave me a bit of relief but I was still watching him. I looked him in his eyes and I could see he was emotionally distressed.

'He seemed scared. He seemed frightened, he didn't seem right.

'My heart was getting faster and faster, and I was thinking this guy is moving into position to do something right now. I thought to myself if that's a bomb we were all dead, I really did.

'I thought he was to get up and do exactly what he did. I thought he was going to get up, walk into the middle of the room and do what he did.

'I kept looking to the doors thinking the police were going to come in. I thought they'd be there.

'I thought they'd be on it. I really did. I thought the security knew he was there.

'It was horrible situation to be in, I felt hopeless.

'He had a phone to his head, he had his head down, he was trudging along, it (the bag) was very heavy.

'He got into the crowd and he almost disappeared from view and I was like 'where is he?'

Mr Hatfield (in the red circle) told the inquiry that he 'thought 'suicide bomber' straight away' and had 'very little doubt' after seeing the man - now known to be bomber Salman Abedi - with a 'rock solid' backpack. Pictured in the yellow circle is Mohammed Agha, employed by venue security firm Showsec

'I almost had a bit of relief, he's not doing anything. Then there was a massive flash of light.'

The inquiry also heard that a police officer patrolling Manchester Arena went on an 'unacceptable' two-hour break to buy a kebab on the day of the attack.

British Transport Police (BTP) officer Jessica Bullough admitted to the inquiry she would 'probably' have asked Abedi what was in his rucksack had she seen him.

PC Bullough came back on patrol shortly after the suicide bomber walked along Victoria railway station platform towards the City Room foyer of the arena.

He then detonated his home-made explosives at the end of the Ariana Grande concert.

Pc Bullough told the public inquiry into the terror attack - which killed 22 people and injured hundreds of others on May 22, 2017 - that her break should have been between 50 minutes and one hour.

But instead she was off patrol for two hours and nine minutes, during which she drove half an hour to buy a kebab with colleague Mark Renshaw, a police community support officer, before eating the takeaway at a Northern Rail office.

Jessica Bullough, pictured, went on an 'unacceptable' two-hour break the day of Salman Abedi's suicide attack - and would 'probably' have asked what was in his rucksack had she seen him, an inquiry has heard

The inquiry heard that she and a colleague, Mark Renshaw, a police community support officer, drove half an hour to the Longsight area of the city to get a kebab and then went to a Northern Rail office to eat it. 

Paul Greaney QC, counsel to the inquiry, asked her: 'When you look back, does that seem to be acceptable?'

She replied: 'No, unacceptable.'

Mr Greaney went on: 'You had just missed Salman Abedi walking to the City Room from the train platform.

'Obviously we all know what he is about to do but if you had come on patrol 10 minutes earlier and you had seen that man walking in that way would you have regarded him as suspicious?'

Pc Bullough said: 'Even though it was a train station with people travelling with large rucksacks on their back… looking at the footage if he had walked past me with that bag on his back I probably would have asked him what was in it.'

She said her suspicions would have been raised by somebody walking 'nearly to the ground' with a heavy rucksack.

Last week the inquiry was told about 30 minutes before the explosion a security worker, checking for merchandise bootleggers, had briefly drawn Pc Bullough's attention to a 'praying crank' on the upstairs level of the foyer.

Pc Bullough said she had no recollection of anyone approaching her to raise concerns and was 'confident' that no-one told her about a person praying.

She later became the first member of the emergency services to arrive at the scene of the explosion after she 'overtook colleagues' as she dashed across and provided assistance to casualties.

Manchester Magistrates' Court heard Pc Bullough, who joined BTP in July 2016, was the most experienced officer at the Arena complex after another constable with 30 years of experience was called away to deal with a burglary suspect at Piccadilly rail station.

Stephen Corke said he normally would have been standing on the raised level of the foyer from about 10pm for concerts but he would have been at the opposite end to where Abedi hid for nearly an hour out of sight of CCTV cameras.

When the bomb was detonated there were no uniformed officers in the foyer despite instructions that one officer should be positioned there at the end of the concert.

They had left the arena unpatrolled for 40 minutes while all took a meal break at the same time, despite instructions to stagger their breaks and finish by 9pm.

PC Corke was not among them because he had decided to check on a 'vulnerable location' that was on his way from Greater Manchester Police headquarters to Victoria Station, he said.

The location, which he did not specify, was only on the route because a road was being dug up in Ancoats, and he only did a 'drive by' check, he added

As a result the officer was at the wrong end of Deansgate, one of the main shopping streets in Manchester, when the bomb went off and he had to drive at speed down the street to the arena.

His colleague, Matthew Martin, who was the passenger in the car, said they had visited Oxford Road and Deansgate stations to 'watch a few trains go in and out.'

PC Corke would normally have positioned himself on the mezzanine floor close to where Salman Abedi, the bomber, spent an hour hiding.

He was asked if he had seen Abedi waiting in the City Room with a rucksack on his back, whether he would have realised he was out of place.

'I'd like to think so yes. If it was for a period of time I would agree with you entirely,' he said.

Pictured: Ambulances and police arriving to Manchester Arena following the explosion

Mr Greaney said there were a lot of 'ifs and buts in this' but asked, 'would you have approached him?'

'There's a good chance of that, yes' the officer said.

But the inquiry heard that PC Corke had spent seven hours dealing with the arrest and interview of a burglary suspect at Greater Manchester Police headquarters at Central Park before heading to Piccadilly Station.

He claimed he had been on hold to the team at the 'evidence review gateway' at British Transport Police headquarters in Birmingham for an hour before he could complete the paperwork.

PC Corke said he 'scrounged a lift' with another officer who was on duty and chose to 'pop into a vulnerable point.'

Mr Greaney asked: 'You knew the expectation was that you would be back by 10.30pm. May I ask you a very direct question and seek a direct answer, why were you not back by 10.30pm?

'The route we had chosen, we chose to visit a vulnerable point and I mistimed it by a couple of minutes,' he said.

The inquiry heard that PC Corke completed the interview by 5.40pm, five hours before the attack, and told his sergeant at 9pm that he would finish of the paperwork and take a quick meal break before heading to the arena.

'I was aware that I had to get back to the concert and I thought that I could commit to both within that timescale but unfortunately I mistimed it by a couple of minutes,' PC Corke said.

'On the night in question, it did not come into my mind that someone would stoop so low as to do something like that in that location. It was never in the back of my mind.

'We all received various degrees of counter-terrorism briefings but not on that night in question. There was nothing to indicate there was any threat on that evening.'

PC Corke said his role was to conduct 'a general high visibility patrol showing there are police in the area to the all the security staff, the merchandising people and the waiting parents.

'The main thrust of that would be ensuring that the people leave the arena in a safe fashion, getting on the trains and leaving the area.

PC Lewis Brown from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) was a trainee Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) with British Transport Police (BTP) at the time being mentored by PCSO Jon Morrey.

He admitted that they had both taken an hour and a half meal break in a room at Victoria Station, when the maximum time should have been an hour.

It meant that from 8.58pm to 9.30pm, while Abedi made his way up to the City Room, there were no police officers patrolling the outside of the arena.

PC Brown was asked by Nick de la Poer QC for the inquiry: 'Was there any perception that the deployment at Manchester Arena or Victoria Station being an easy option?

'No there was nothing voiced that it was an easy option,' he said.

Mr de la Poer asked what his sergeant would have thought if he had turned up and found them all on a meal break.

'I believe the sergeant would have wanted to know why we were on a break for that time, if there was any good reason and would have words of advice with us,' the officer said.

'Was there any good reason?' Mr de la Poer asked.

'No, I just think we were on break too long,' PC Brown said.

The inquiry, expected to conclude next spring, continues on Tuesday.

Football news:

Kiknadze and Meshcheryakov-out! Rabiner after Loko's defeat by Red bull
Real Madrid conceded 9 goals in 5 rounds of the Champions League group stage for The first time
Flick about 1:1 with Atletico: after Muller and Gnabry came on as substitutes, Bayern added to the movement
Muller scored his 47th goal in the Champions League and moved into 10th place ahead of Inzaghi. Zlatan and Shevchenko have 48 goals each
Liverpool and Porto broke into the Champions League play-offs - there are already 8 teams. Which ones? And who is about to be added to them?
Now Liverpool are also without Alisson. The group was won by his 22-year-old substitute with 0 minutes in the Premier League and the Champions League
Diego Simeone: In three games where there were draws, we deserved more