United Kingdom

EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: Prince Charles welcomes back bed-and-breakfast guests to Dumfries House

Prince Charles has found a stylish way to comply with social-distancing rules — by bringing back butlers.

He is welcoming bed-and-breakfast guests to his Scottish stately home, Dumfries House, again, but with a significant change.

‘As part of a renewed offering that adheres to government guidelines, guests will be offered a full butler service that includes room service,’ says a spokesman for the property, which Charles saved for the nation in 2007.

The change will prevent guests mingling in the dining and lounge areas. No word on whether the butlers will squeeze toothpaste onto your toothbrush.

Scroll down for video. 

Prince Charles in a file photo outside Dumfries House in Ayrshire

The estate had fallen into disrepair and was up for sale in 2007 when the heir to the throne got involved in a campaign to save it and open it up for the public to enjoy

A photo taken by Christie's auction house of Dumfries House before it was sold showing a suite of Chippendale furniture in The Pink Drawing Room

The estate had fallen into disrepair and was up for sale in 2007 when the heir to the throne got involved in a campaign to save it and open it up for the public to enjoy.

Three years ago, gardeners and craftsmen at the stately home completed work on a huge maze commissioned by the prince, who had enjoyed wandering around a similar one on the Sandringham Estate, Norfolk, as a child.

Speaking at the opening in 2016, Prince Charles said: 'I'm afraid to say I'm rather indulging in my childhood fantasy of mazes. There's nothing more enjoyable than getting lost in a maze.'

Planted with 1,600 yew tree hedges standing eight feet tall, the maze took 17 months to construct, involving 30 craftsmen.

The Duke of Rothesay campaigned to restore stately home Dumfries House, in Cumnock, East Ayrshire, and channelled millions of pounds into the project (pictured) 

The Prince of Wales, who is known as the Duke of Rothesay while in Scotland, last week visited the site of the fatal Aberdeenshire train crash. 

Three people died on Wednesday when the 6.38am Aberdeen to Glasgow Queen Street ScotRail service crashed near Stonehaven during heavy rain. 

Charles met emergency responders including Pc Liam Mercer and Pc Eilidh McCabe, who were the first officers on the scene, and commended them on their bravery.

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales is shown the scene of the ScotRail train derailment near Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, which cost the lives of three people on August 14, 2020

He was taken to a socially distanced circle of workers including members of the police, fire service, Coastguard and Network Rail.

Many spoke of their experiences dealing with the incident and the sight of burning carriages. 

Charles, 71, and the Duchess of Cornwall, 73, are holidaying at the Balmoral Estate with the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. 

Balmoral: The Royal Family's summer retreat 

A group of aides have already travelled up to the Scottish home of the Royal Family to prepare the castle for the couple's arrival. The Queen and Philip will stay in the main castle, pictured

Balmoral Castle has been the Scottish home of the Royal Family since it was purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852, having been first leased in 1848.

In the autumn of 1842, two and a half years after her marriage to Prince Albert, Queen Victoria paid her first visit to Scotland. They were so struck with the Highlands that they resolved to return. A further visit to Perthshire and then Ardverikie encouraged them to seize the opportunity to purchase Balmoral. 

After Queen Victoria bought the Castle in 1852, plans were made to build a new castle about 100 yards north-west of the old building designed by the city of Aberdeen architect William Smith.

On 28 September 1853 the foundation stone of the new Castle was laid by Queen Victoria. Prince Albert took a great interest in the design and construction which was completed by 1856, also in the Scottish Baronial style.

The Castle is constructed from local granite, which was precision cut using the modern machinery of the day, producing a much smoother finish to the building than usual.

Prince Albert set about landscaping the area, starting a programme of improvements lasting several years, which was done in accordance with a model he had constructed in sand. The main works were completed by 1859 and included new houses, stables, workshops and schools.

Royals continue to make improvements to the castle and the ruggedly beautiful surroundings have captivated generations of royals since. 

The Queen has visited Balmoral almost every year of her reign and it holds a special place in her heart.  

Football news:

Barcelona's Interest in Isak Increased after Koeman's appointment. Larsson has a high opinion of the player (Mundo Seportivo)
Manuel Pellegrini: When you play against Real Madrid and var, it's too much
PSV and Porto are Interested in Barcelona midfielder PUC. He doesn't want to leave the club
Puyol about Barcelona: If we want to win the championship, we need to perform very well
Schalke sacked Wagner. The team has not won the Bundesliga since January
Iacini on 3:4 with Inter: Even a draw would be an unfair result, given how many chances Fiorentina created
Ramos Pro 3:2 with Betis: the Referee tried his best and didn't do anything intentionally