Dr. Anthony Fauci says President Trump has not attended a White House Coronavirus Task Force meeting for several months, despite the fact COVID-19 cases are surging and several states are recording record spikes.
Fauci revealed the news during an interview with MSNBC's Chuck Todd on Thursday, with the disclosure providing more insight into his fractious relationship with the Commander-in-chief.
Trump has repeatedly hit out at Fauci in recent weeks, describing the infectious diseases expert as a 'disaster' who has flip-flopped on mask wearing. During Thursday's presidential debate, Trump falsely claimed that Fauci said the coronavirus would 'go away soon'.
It comes as the US recorded more than 70,00 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, taking the total number to 8.45 million.
More than 223,000 Americans have died from the disease.
Scroll down for video
Dr. Anthony Fauci told MSNBC's Chuck Todd Thursday that President Trump has not attended a White House Coronavirus Task Force meeting for several months
Elsewhere during his MSNBC interview, Fauci revealed that the Coronavirus Task Force are meeting far less frequently than they used to.
'They [the meetings] are certainly less than they used to be... We're averaging about one a week,' he stated.
'In early spring we were meeting five, six, sometimes seven days a week. A few months ago, when things pivoted around to more of the economic reopening of the country, the number of task force meetings diminished.'
He went on to state that he still talks with other Task Force doctors, including Dr. Deborah Birx and Dr. Robert Redfield, at least once a week via video chat.
Vice President Mike Pence head up the White House Coronavirus Task Force, and Fauci told MSNBC that he has been more of a presence.
'We certainly interact with the Vice President at the task force meetings and he makes our feelings and what we talk about known to the President,' he stated.
It comes after Trump defended his response to the COVID-19 pandemic, saying there is 'not much' he would do differently if he could go back in time.
The Commander-in-chief made the claim during a sit-down interview with Eric Bolling for America This Week on Tuesday, stating: 'Look, it's all over the world... You have a lot of great leaders, a lot of smart people - it's all over the world. It came out of China. China should've stopped it.'
He continued: 'I did it very early. Biden was criticizing me. He said I was xenophobic when I put the ban on China. Nancy Pelosi said that too.'
President Trump (left) hit out at Dr. Anthony Fauci for flip-flopping on mask wearing during an interview with Eric Bolling on Tuesday
Fauci has served as a member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force since January, and has publicly clashed with the President on multiple occasions
Elsewhere during the interview, Trump also hit out at Fauci.
'I get along with him fine, but he's made mistakes,' POTUS declared.
'He said "No masks, don't wear a mask" and then he said "Wear a mask". He didn't want me to stop people coming in from China, but then he admitted it was a great move I made. I overrode him.
'Having said all of that, I get along with him. I like him,' Trump stated.
'You called him a disaster!' Bolling replied incredulously.
'He's made bad moves, but he's been there a long time,' the President then conceded.
Bolling (right) shared a snippet of his interview with Trump, taped at The White House on Tuesday
Bolling sat down for his interview with Trump shortly after the president had stormed out of an sit-down chat with 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl.
'Not sure what all the fuss was about today with @60Minutes and @realDonaldTrump,' Bolling wrote.
'He seemed perfectly fine at my TownHall- taped just minutes after he finished with @cbs.'
Earlier on Tuesday, Trump abruptly ended his 60 Minutes interview early accusing CBS of being biased towards Democratic rival Joe Biden and criticizing Stahl for not wearing a mask.
Trump first indicated something had gone awry with Stahl when he tweeted a six-second video of the broadcaster bare-faced talking to two masked men holding a bundle of papers.
'Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes not wearing a mask in the White House after her interview with me. Much more to come,' the president wrote.
President Donald Trump shared a clip of '60 Minutes'' Lesley Stahl standing around bare-faced at the White House lobbing criticism at her for appearing unmasked. Both Trump and Stahl have already contracted and recovered from COVID-19
CNN subsequently reported that Trump had abruptly ended the interview.
Later, Trump took to Twitter, blasting Stahl for her line of questioning, and threatening to release the footage of their exchange before its scheduled air date this coming Sunday.
'I am pleased to inform you that, for the sake of accuracy in reporting, I am considering posting my interview with Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes, PRIOR TO AIRTIME!' Trump wrote. 'This will be done so that everybody can get a glimpse of what a FAKE and BIASED interview is all about.'