United Kingdom

Covid stops the Queen from seeing Prince Philip

The Queen is unlikely to be able to see Prince Philip until he leaves hospital due to Covid regulations.

The monarch, who is being kept regularly updated about her husband's condition, will not be permitted to visit him at St Bart's in London, where he was transferred on Monday.

This is because visitors are currently excluded apart from a handful of 'exceptional' circumstances, including end of life. 

The Queen is unlikely to be able to see Prince Philip (pictured together previously) until he leaves hospital due to Covid regulations

She did not visit him at King Edward VII's Hospital as she is always reluctant to cause disruption to any hospital's vital work and knows her presence would place unnecessary pressure on staff at the best of times.

It means the Queen will have been parted from her husband of 73 years for at least three weeks.

St Bart's said while they know it is difficult for patients and their families 'our first duty is to the patients we serve, and to maintain their safety at all times we need to control visiting'.

The monarch, who is being kept regularly updated about her husband's condition, will not be permitted to visit him at St Bart's in London (pictured), where he was transferred on Monday

It adds: 'We are only allowing visitors in exceptional circumstances. We understand that having a family member in hospital is distressing, and we work closely with relatives and friends to ease their concerns and find alternative ways of keeping in touch.'

Buckingham Palace announced on Monday that Philip had been transferred to St Bart's for continuing treatment for an infection, as well as 'testing and observation' for a pre-existing heart condition.

Although he remains comfortable and responding to treatment, they said, he will remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.

Football news:

Kroenke, get out. Arsenal fans held a protest against the owner of the club
For leaving the Super League, the contract stipulates a fine of at least 150 million euros
Giggs will not be in charge of the Wales squad at the Euro. He is accused of assaulting two women
Giggs has been charged with assaulting two women
Tuchel on Super League: The Chelsea owner doesn't have to apologize to me
Barcelona is preparing a 2+1 contract for Messi. Laporta is looking for a way to sign the stars to convince Lionel of the club's competitiveness
The investment banker analyzed the typical financial mistakes of athletes. And modeled a safe accumulation plan