Nearly 20 live parasites have been pulled out from a Chinese man's eye after they are believed to have lived inside him for a year.
Revolting footage shows the white worms squirming in a bowl after they were removed from Mr Wan, a sports lover in his 60s.
Doctors believed that the patient had been bitten by bugs carrying parasitic larvae while exercising outdoors, reported local media.
Revolting footage shows the white worms squirming in a bowl after they were removed from Mr Wan, a sports lover in his 60s. Doctors believed that the patient's condition was caused after he was bitten by infected bugs while exercising outdoors, reported local media
The incident came to light when Mr Wan sought medical attention at the Suzhou Municipal Hospital in eastern China. The patient said he felt something was stuck in his eyes a year ago, but he didn't pay too much attention to it and never went to a doctor, according to a report
The incident came to light when Mr Wan sought medical attention at the Suzhou Municipal Hospital in eastern China.
The patient said he felt something was stuck in his eyes a year ago, but he didn't pay too much attention to it, according to a report.
He finally went to the doctor after his condition worsened recently.
While treating Mr Wan, surgeons found that his eye had been infected with nearly 20 worms living inside.
A video obtained by Suzhou Daily New shows the medic pulling out a wiggling white parasite from the patient's eye before putting it into a container. Mr Wan is believed to be recovering
A video obtained by Suzhou Daily News shows the medic pulling out a wiggling white parasite from the patient's eye before putting it into a container.
The worms belong to a species called 'thelazia callipaeda', which is the most common cause of thelaziasis, also known as eyeworm infestation.
They are mostly found in dogs and cats but they can be passed onto humans when people are exposed to infected flies which feed on eye secretions.
Dr Xi Ting, an ophthalmologist at the Suzhou hospital, told reporters that Mr Wan had been bitten by flies before while playing outdoor sports.
The parasites had likely gotten into his body through the infected bugs.
The Chinese man is believed to be recovering following the successful surgery.
WHAT IS AN EYE PARASITE?
A parasite is an organism which lives inside another living organism, and depends on other creatures in order to stay alive. They often harm their host in the process.
Many different parasites affect humans and they can transmit deadly diseases such as malaria and trichomoniasis, which can be passed on during sex.
Around three quarters of parasites are so small they're not visible to the human eye. Some, such as worms, may grow much larger.
Examples of parasites which may live in humans include tapeworms and roundworm, which both live in the digestive tract.
Possible symptoms of parasite infection include skin bumps or rashes, weight loss or increased appetite, abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhoea, and fever.
Parasitic eye infections can cause symptoms such as pain, inflammation, watery eyes, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, itching and even blindness.
Acanthamoeba keratitis is one of the main infections of they eye, caused by the parasite acanthamoeba. The organism is found within freshwater and marine environments worldwide.
It's transmitted through direct contact with the parasite and the cornea of your eye. Those with poor contact lens care are at a higher risk.
Some parasites enter the body through the mouth or skin, and then travel to the eye.
For example, toxocariasis is a rare infection caused by roundworm parasites caught from handling soil or sand contaminated with infected animal faeces.
When it infects the eyes, it's referred to as ocular toxoplasmosis. It can cause blurred vision and eye pain. But cases are very rare.