United Kingdom

Chaos erupts in Portland on the 79th night of violence after police declare an unlawful assembly

Chaos erupted in Portland for a 79th consecutive night on Friday after police declared an unlawful assembly during a peaceful demonstration and stormed a protester shield line, beating people with batons.  

About 300 protesters had gathered in the city's Peninsula Park around 9pm for a peaceful march across North Portland that was expected to end at the Police Association building on N Lombard Street.

But even before demonstrators could begin heading toward their destination, cops - changing tactics from the previous nights - cut off access to the streets leading to the police union headquarters. 

Minutes into the march, the crowd was met with a line of police officers dressed in riot gear and squad cars blocking their path, ordering them to disperse.

Scroll down for video 

Dozens of police officers dressed in riot gear clashed with a group of about 300 to 400 protesters in North Portland on Friday night after declaring an unlawful assembly 

Cops sprang into action, using crowd control methods including tear gas, to disperse demonstrators after a standoff 

Four Portland police officers arrest a protester during crowd dispersal near Mississippi Avenue on Friday

Protesters retreat up a residential street after police blocked the road, only to be faced with another line of cops in riot gear

Cops told demonstrators they could not continue their march because the street was open to traffic and threatened to use tear gas or other crowd-control methods if they did not leave.

Protesters however, stood their ground and faced off with cops for about 20 minutes, according to Oregon Live.

Activists standing on the frontline held up their handmade wooden shields, emblazoned with the Black Lives Matter logo of a raised fist. Others in the crowd were heard chanting as one man played the drums.  

Protests eventually switched gears and retreated up a residential street to continue their march, only to be met by another two dozen cops blocking their path, resulting in another standoff. 

By 10pm, police declared an unlawful assembly, saying people in the crowd had thrown 'paint bombs and other projectiles' at officers, however one reporter on the ground disputed this, saying they were 'paint balloons.' 

Another journalist said some had hurled water bottles and a 'white liquid' at police, according to Oregon Live.

Officers were seen rushing the crowd, hitting some protesters with batons as they ordered them to clear the area. 

The incident quickly escalated into violence and chaos, with some setting nearby dumpsters on fire.  

Portland police walk past a dumpster fire during a crowd dispersal. The Portland Police Bureau changed tactics Friday night, blocking streets well before the protest of about 400 people could reach the Portland Police Association building

Activists standing on the frontline held up their handmade wooden shields, emblazoned with the Black Lives Matter logo of a raised fist

Tabitha Poppins, a regular attendee of Portland's nightly protests, plays a drum while roughly 400 people faced off with police 

At least one person was arrested during the clash. Police were also seen setting off smoke canisters to disperse crowds. 

Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty responded to a video of the scene on Twitter describing cops' actions as 'brutality' and 'unacceptable.' 

'This is the community the police are sworn to protect and serve. They must uphold Portlanders constitution rights,' she tweeted. 

Demonstrations, often violent, have happened nightly in Oregon's biggest city for more than two months following the killing of George Floyd. Floyd, a black man, died in Minneapolis after a white officer pressed a knee to his neck.

Wednesday night and early Thursday morning authorities say protesters set a fire and exploded commercial grade fireworks outside the downtown federal courthouse. Several officers were injured and two people were arrested.

The protests in Portland last month outside the federal courthouse saw demonstrators clashing nightly with federal agents dispatched to the city to protect the facility.

The demonstrations dwindled after a drawdown of the agents, who were replaced by Oregon state troopers. But protests turned violent over the last week, mostly near a police union headquarters building miles from the federal courthouse.

A protester who declined to be named is treated by a street medic after being pepper sprayed by a Portland police officer

A driver asks to pass a police line after protesters and police both blocked roads on Friday during a peaceful march that turned violent 

Football news:

It's time to learn the names of new Borussia heroes. Now there are 17-year-old boys making goals
Paulo Fonseca: it's Important to bring Smalling back to Roma. We have only 3 Central defenders
Arteta about 2:1 with West ham: Arsenal made life difficult for themselves with losses, but they fought and believed in victory
Palace midfielder Townsend: Could have beaten Manchester United with a bigger difference. We had moments
Philippe Coutinho: I am motivated and I want to work hard to make everything work out well on the pitch
Torres on Chelsea: I Thought I could remain a top player, but I was unstable. Although there were enough successes
Neville on the broken penalty against Manchester United: an Absolute disgrace