United Kingdom

Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios pulls out of US Open over coronavirus concerns

The world number 40, however, also took another shot at some of his fellow players, with whom he has been involved in a running battle over the past two months after they chose to play in a Novak Djokovic-organised exhibition event in Europe.

Djokovic, Borna Coric, Grigor Dimitrov and Victor Troicki all tested positive for Covid-19 during the event, which was hastily cancelled.

"Tennis players, you have to act in the interest of each other and work together," Kyrgios said.

"You can't be dancing on tables, money grabbing your way around Europe or trying to make a quick buck hosting an exhibition. That's just so selfish.

"Think of the other people for once, that is what this virus is about."

This week Ash Barty, the tennis world number one, became the most significant name to drop out of a major as global Covid-19 surges sparked fresh concern that a host of international sports face more disruption.

The 24-year-old, who soared through the rankings last year by winning the French Open and three other singles titles, pulled out of next month's US Open, citing "still significant risks" for her reason to stay at home in Australia.

Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the US Open and again criticised some of his fellow professionals for their decisions to ignore health advice during the coronavirus pandemic.

Kyrgios follows compatriot and women's world number one Ash Barty, who withdrew from the August 31-September 13 tournament earlier this week.

"I will not be playing this year at the US Open," Kyrgios said in a video on social media on Sunday.

"It hurts me at my core not to be out there competing in one of the sport's greatest arenas, Arthur Ashe Stadium.

"But I'm sitting out for the people, for my Aussies, for the hundreds and thousands of Americans that have lost their lives, for all of you. It's my decision."

Kyrgios had no problems with the USTA scheduling the tournament or players competing if they chose, "so long as everyone acts appropriately and acts safely".

The 25-year-old said he recognised that lower-wage employees at the event, such as restaurant staff, cleaners and locker room attendants, needed the tournament to take place.

Football news:

Golovin scored and provided an assist in Monaco's friendly with AZ
Mueller Pro 8:2 with Barca: We did not control the game so much even in the match with Brazil in 2014
Ander Herrera: if PSG don't win the Champions League, it won't be a failure
Arsenal are investigating the transfer of Pepe for 72 million pounds. The club wants to find out if he overpaid
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Manchester United knows how much it hurts to lose in the semi-finals. It's time for the leading players to prove themselves
Arsenal announced the departure of sports Director of Sunley
The Bayern coach who destroyed Barca. He was on Lev's staff at 7:1 in Brazil