United Kingdom
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Armed man SURRENDERS to NYPD after 3-hour standoff outside UN building

An armed man surrendered to New York Police Department officers after a three hour standoff outside the United Nations building where he held a shotgun to this throat Thursday morning. 

Officers with the NYPD were in an armed standoff with the a man wielding a shotgun outside the United Nations

The white man assumed to be in his 60s has grey hair and is wearing blue jeans, a light blue shirt under a red sweater and tan jacket. He was seen holding the barrel of the shotgun to his throat during most of the encounter.  

Video from the scene shows the man pacing back and forth as he holds the barrel of the gun to his chin.

The man reached into his bag on the sidewalk next to him before holding a red folder up in the air. He appears to be talking to someone out of the shot. He shakes his head before standing up and walking towards the direction he was speaking holding the shotgun and the red folder containing several documents. 

He delivered the red folder and several notebooks to officers, placing them on the gate of the UN building. Three officers dressed in tactical gear grabbed the materials while standing behind a heavy duty full length shield. 

Video from the scene shows the officers delivering the documents to a person the UN gates before he surrendered. A UN Security officer was seen walking through the building carrying several documents and a red folder soon after. 

An armed man surrendered to New York Police Department officers after a three hour standoff outside the United Nations building on Thursday morning

The middle-aged man placed his shotgun on the sidewalk and was taken into police custody around 1:30pm 

The man reportedly surrendered after officers delivered a red folder and several notebooks to the UN on his behalf

A middle-aged man has caused a police standoff as he holds a shotgun to his head outside the United Nations building

Police have not shared what the man has said but reportedly told him: 'There are better ways to get your message out'

The unidentified man has reportedly made threats to harm himself as he continues to point his weapon on himself

The middle-aged man was seen holding a red folder containing documents in the air as he approached the line of police

The man with grey hair wearing a red sweater is seen pacing outside the UN building holding a shotgun to his head

A heavy police presence was spotted at the scene as the UN building was placed under lockdown Thursday morning

Police were called to the threat at the intersection of E 42nd Street and 1st Ave at 10:39 am when the armed man was seen

Video shows the man appearing to talk someone as he holds the red folder in the air before walking towards police 

Officers were seen pointing their gun at the man as they instructed him to drop his weapon and attempted to communicate with him to de-escalate the tense situation

NYPD officers are in an armed standoff with the man wielding a gun at the bus stop located at intersection of E 42nd Street and 1st Ave

The bomb squad was called to the scene of the standoff a black bag was seen on the sidewalk behind the armed man

The man then placed his hands in the air as his shotgun laid on the sidewalk. He lifted his shirt, and turned around, presumably to show he had no other weapons, before walking backwards towards the group of officers. 

The man is seen getting on his knees as he in handcuffed by several officers on the sidewalk. Officers then calmly walk the man into the street where several police vehicles are parked. 

The man was seen on video pacing outside building in Tudor City, along the East River. The incident was reported at 10:39 am at the bus stop at the intersection of E 42nd Street and 1st Ave.  

Police were heard saying: 'Put down the gun. There are better ways to get your message out.'

Officers had their guns trained on him as they issued their warnings and attempted to negotiate with him as the man reportedly threatened to harm himself. 

A black bag, red megaphone, glasses, a water bottle, several jackets and several small unidentified object were splayed out on the sidewalk behind him. 

NYPD released a statement assuring citizens that: 'There is currently NO THREAT to the public,' despite the man wielding a shotgun on the sidewalk outside the government building. 

Several officers were seen aiming sniper rifles at the armed man from tactical locations around the UN plaza before he surrendered. 

The bomb squad responded to the scene where a heavy police presence was seen but did not appear to be needed. 

NYPD issued a traffic advisory around 11am warning citizens to avoid the area as emergency vehicles surrounded the area. Traffic along FDR Drive has been affected. 

An estimated two dozen emergency vehicles have responded to the scene. 

Helicopters were heard flying over the area and a city bus has been used to block traffic uptown.  

Large crowds of officers are seen at the scene with an estimated two dozen emergency vehicles shutting down the area

The UN building has been placed under a lock down as the security situation continues

It was reported that Security Council diplomats left the chamber as the situation continued. All UN personnel and delegates at the headquarters have been instructed to shelter in place. 

Stephane Dujarric, UN spokesman for the Security-General, issued a shelter in place warning with minimal information. 

The note simply states that a 'security situation' is underway and instructs its recipients to contact the NYPD for more information. 

'The Security and Safety Service of UNDSS wishes to inform that there is ongoing police activity at 1st Avenue between 42nd and 43rd streets.

'All personnel and delegates at UNHQ are hereby requested to shelter in place. 

'Host country authorities are presently on the scene. The Security and Safety Service is monitoring the situation and will update accordingly.' 

A traffic advisory was issued by the NYPD around 11am warning citizens to avoid the area in Tudor City along the East River