New Zealand
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Xinhua Asia-Pacific news summary at 1600 GMT, Sept. 24

PHNOM PENH -- Cambodia on Sunday confirmed its first case of the Zika virus since 2016, the country's Ministry of Health (MoH) said in a press statement.

The patient, a seven-year-old girl from central Kampong Thom province, was admitted to Baray Santuk Referral Hospital on Monday suspected of having dengue fever. The test result confirmed on Thursday that she was positive for Zika virus, the statement said.

Zika is a flavivirus that is transmitted predominantly by the Aedes species of mosquito, but also through sexual contact, blood transfusions, and congenitally from mother to child, the statement said. (Cambodia-Zika-Infection)

- - - -

ISLAMABAD -- Twenty-nine people were injured when a passenger train collided with a cargo train in Pakistan's east Punjab province on Sunday morning, state-run rescue organization Rescue 1122 said.

The incident happened at 4:30 a.m. (local time) due to possible negligence of the railway staff in Sheikhupura district of the province, Muhammad Ateeq, shift-in-charge of Rescue 1122 Headquarters in the provincial capital of Lahore, told Xinhua.

"The railway staff failed to switch the track for the passenger train and it kept moving on the track where the cargo train was already parked," Ateeq said. (Pakistan-Train Accident-Injury)

- - - -

WELLINGTON -- The Chinese Immersion Day was marked in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on Sunday, with the local library receiving donations of Chinese books.

The Chinese Consulate General in Christchurch gave children's books in Chinese and books about traditional Chinese culture to the central city library, as part of the nationwide celebration of the New Zealand Chinese Language Week which ended on Sunday.

Consul General He Ying told the donation ceremony that the annual book donation started more than four years ago, and these books are widely welcomed by the Chinese community and Kiwis. (New Zealand-Chinese Immersion Day-Celebration)

- - - -

TOKYO -- A boxed meal maker in northeastern Japan has been banned by public health authorities from operating due to hundreds of food poisoning cases caused by its products, local media reported.

Yoshidaya, a local maker of boxed meals, commonly known as "bento" in Japanese, voluntarily suspended operations starting Sunday, after being banned from operations on Saturday by public health authorities in Aomori Prefecture.

Nearly 300 people from 24 prefectures in the country, more than half the number of prefectures across Japan, reported symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting after eating bento meals supplied by the company based in Hachinohe city, Aomori Prefecture. (Japan-Food Poisoning-Boxed Meal)