A mum tried to stab her ex boyfriend to death after climbing into his home through a broken window.

Leanne Noon left Jeoffrey Hoare pouring with blood after forcing her way into the room he had barricaded himself in.

The 42-year-old frantically stabbed him to the head and torso before he was able to escape, fleeing for his life.

Hoare fled in a desperate search for help, trying not to leave trails of blood that would lead his attacker to him.

A jury heard the facts of the case were not disputed, but Noon was found not guilty by reason of insanity of attempted murder, assault causing actual bodily harm and two counts of possession of a knife.

The charges related to two separate incidents which took place within months of each other in 2019.

Judge David Aubrey, QC, sentencing at Liverpool Crown Court today, explained between 6.30am and 7am on August 28 Noon went to Mr Hoare's home in Netherley.

He opened the back door he saw she "had in her hand a knife and immediately attacked him with it, cutting him on his arm".

The judge said the attack on October 18 was "far more serious".

Mr Hoare was outside smoking when Noon "came to the back gate" while holding a knife.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

Judge Aubrey said: "He was thinking to himself if she gets in, because he had gone into the house, he was going to die.

"She however did get into the house through some broken glass and attacked Mr Hoare with a knife.

Martine Snowdon, prosecuting during the trial, said Noon had picked up a piece of block paving and used it to smash the window, leaving Mr Hoare terrified and attempting to barricade himself in his bedroom using a chest of drawers.

Helplines and support groups

The following are helplines and support networks for people to talk to, mostly listed on the NHS Choices website

The jury heard how Noon managed to push her way in and cut his head with the knife, which Mr Hoare said "knocked him for six", before she continued to attack him, repeatedly stabbing him to his torso.

He managed to push her to the floor and run from the house while heavily bleeding but "fleeing for his life", Ms Snowdon explained.

The court heard he was trying not to leave blood trails that she could follow and was luckily seen by members of the public who took him to their home and called the emergency services.

Judge Aubrey today said: "As a consequence of the attack Mr Hoare was slipping in and out of consciousness before being taken by air ambulance to hospital."

The judge said while Mr Hoare survived he suffered psychological harm.

Judge Aubrey said: "When Leanne Noon was arrested she was found nearby and was covered in blood.

"She told the police officers that she had tried to kill Mr Hoare in consequence of delusional beliefs that she was having at the time."

The judge added that Noon had said more than once that she "wanted him dead".

Ms Snowdon said Mr Hoare was left with a "numbness to the side of his head" and a "constant buzzing" which has to drown out with the sound of the TV at night so he can sleep.

Liverpool's courts are some of the busiest in the UK, with a huge variety of cases being heard each week.

To get a behind the scenes look at how they work and the moments that don't make our stories, subscribe to our free weekly Echo Court Files newsletter, written by court reporters Neil Docking and Lauren Wise.

How do I sign up?

It's free, easy and takes no time at all.

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you're there, put your email address where it says at the top, then click on the Echo Court Files button. There are other newsletters available too if you want them as well.
  3. When you've made your choice, press the Save Changes button at the bottom.

She said he has "always been involved in physical work" but now cannot carry out the tasks he ordinarily would and he "doesn't know what he's going to do in the future for work".

Mr Hoare suffers from anxiety and has been left "worrying all the time about the attack".

Ms Snowdon said: "He describes himself as having panic attacks and is terrified about the prospect of her being able to leave the establishment where she lives."

Stuart Mills, defending, said: "I know Ms Noon, hearing the victim personal statement from Mr Hoare, will herself be deeply concerned because now that she is under treatment she is very concerned about what she did."

The judge said: "She is not guilty by reason of insanity. She has a history, and a longstanding history, of mental disorder. It is a psychological affective disorder.

"She suffers severe psychotic symptoms."

The judge said there was also a history of non compliance with medication.

Judge Aubrey said: "The offending is, if not wholly, in significant part attributable to the disorder from which she suffers."

The judge found Noon's detention in hospital for mental treatment was appropriate.

Noon, now of Rowan View, Rainhill, was given a hospital order with a restriction.

This means she will only be released from the care of the hospital with the agreement of the Secretary of State for Justice, who must deem her safe to be rehabilitated in the community.