A woman who was shouting and throwing things from a pub roof for two hours has been detained by police.

Emergency services scrambled to he Chepstow Castle pub, on County Road, at around 4pm after it was reported a woman was on the roof.

Paramedics and fire crews joined the police at the scene, where a large cordon was put in place covering County Road, Hale Road, Romley Street and a section of Jack's supermarket car park.

READ MORE: Live updates as woman climbs on pub roof and refuses to come down

The ECHO understands the woman had been drinking in the pub earlier in the day and was reportedly asked to leave before climbing onto the roof.

She then began shouting and throwing items onto the road, Merseyside Police confirmed.

Chepstow Castle pub in Walton
Emergency services at the Chepstow Castle pub on County Road,

The incident saw two fire engines, a search and rescue vehicle, five police cars, one police van, a negotiator and two ambulances are at the scene of the incident.

A spokesperson from Merseyside Police said: "We can confirm that officers are in Walton dealing with an incident this afternoon, Thursday 16 September.

The Liverpool Echo sends newsletters on a wide range of topics - including our daily news bulletin, now going out three times a day.

There are others on what's on, politics, court news, Knowsley, Wirral, and arts & culture, as well as both Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

Signing up is free and it only takes a minute for you to get the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.

How to sign up for an Echo Email Update

1) Go to our dedicated newsletter page at this link.

2) Put your email in the box where indicated

3) Tick as many boxes as you like, for each newsletter you want.

4) Press Save changes and that's it!

"At around 4pm, a report was received of a woman on the roof of the Chepstow Castle pub on County Road, throwing items and shouting.

"Road closures are in place on County Road, Hale Road, and Romley Street while we deal with this incident."

During the incident buses were diverted and traffic was being directed away from the area.

After a two hour standoff the woman came down from the roof and was detained by police.

The cordon was lifted at around 6pm, with a number of police cars remaining at the scene shortly after while officers carried out enquiries within the pub.

A spokesperson from the police told The ECHO : "A female has been detained and the incident is now resolved."