A rapist who held captive a terrified woman in her home and subjected her to a humiliating and violent sex attack is facing prison.

Abdiraxman Abdellahi, 24, held his victim hostage for several hours during the brutal assault, which occurred after he visited her home earlier this year.

Leicestershire Live reports that she was bound and gagged before being slapped, punched and kicked by Abdellahi, who also tried to drown her in the bath.

In a video recorded police statement, shown at Leicester Crown Court, the victim stated: "He told me 'your worst nightmares are coming true'.

"He said 'I don't care if I go to jail for this.' He took my phone away from me.

"If I took the gag out he would hit me more, with stinging slaps.

"Before that he was hitting me and kicking me.

"I thought I was going to die."

The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said she feared he was going to drown her in the bath at one stage.

"He untied me to let me go to the toilet," she added.

The woman claimed he sat on a chair by her bedroom door and would not let her leave or get dressed.

Whenever she stood up, he aggressively ordered her to sit down.

She said she promised not to report him, but he said: "How do I know you're not going to the police?"

He suggested that if he released her, she could excuse her injuries, including swelling and bruising, by claiming she had been "beaten up in town."

Abdellahi had admitted causing her actual bodily harm, but denied rape or sexual assault.

However, he was convicted by a jury of four counts of rape, one of false imprisonment and an assault by penetration after a jury deliberated on the case for just over seven hours.

However, Abdellahi, of Brogue Street, Belgrave, Leicester, was acquitted of one count of doing an act tending or intended to pervert justice after his arrest.

The court heard the defendant suffered from anger management issues.

Giving evidence he said he was homeless and "very down" at the time.

The defendant told the jury he never forced the woman to have sex against her will, but accepted hitting her and admitted: "I was out of control."

After the verdicts, Judge Philip Head said: "He has a temper and deployed sexual violence."

The judge adjourned the hearing for the preparation of a psychiatric report.

Abdellahi was remanded into custody to await sentencing in December.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.