Wigan has been placed back under local lockdown rules after a large rise in the coronavirus infection rate, the town's MP has confirmed.

The rules covering most of Greater Manchester will now also apply to Wigan.

Lisa Nandy said she had spoken to Health Secretary Matt Hancock this morning (Friday) and was informed that the rule change was down to rising infection rates.

It means the borough is no longer under the same rules as the rest of the country and will be instead subject to specialised local restrictions.

It is not clear if the change in the rules will come into effect immediately.

Wigan was placed under the same rules as Greater Manchester on July 30, but local leaders successfully lobbied for the town to be removed from the restrictions because at the time the infection rate was far lower than in other boroughs.

But the number of positive test has risen quickly in recent weeks and there have been more than 100 new infections for every 100,000 people in the borough over the last week.

In a tweet, Mrs Nandy said: "The Health Minister confirmed in a call this morning that a rise in infections in Wigan means we’re subject to wider Greater Manchester restrictions again.

"I know how hard it is but to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed please follow the guidance."

The new rules mean:

Other rules remain the same as they do in the rest of the country, including restrictions on pubs and restaurants to offer table service only and to close at 10pm.

To check the rules or see if you fall under any exceptions, go to the government's website.