An 81-year-old widower has been forced to live in a hotel for three months due to mould and damp that has caused "pictures to fall off walls".
William Frempong of Poplar Court, Wimbledon, said that the walls were soaking wet and he needed to put towels on the carpet.
It even got to the point where the pictures would fall off the walls in his two-bedroom floor flat and he claims he has been complaining about damp issues to the housing association, Clarion Housing Group, since 2019.
William told MyLondon: "There’s a tap in front of my bedroom window, so the floor and the walls have damp and mould on them. The living room is the same, my pictures on the wall were just dropping because it’s very wet.
"I called the office, they said they’ll send a surveyor to take some pictures - he visited the property three times but didn't take action.
"The floor was wet, my bedroom floor was wet - I had to put something on the floor to put my belongings on it. It was so wet, I couldn't put my feet on the floor, in the evening I had to put a big towel down before I go to bed."
The retired bus conductor , was eventually moved into a Travelodge in Raynes Park on July 13.
All of his belongings are in storage so Clarion could carry out repairs - but it appears they haven't started yet.
When MyLondon visited William's flat on Wednesday (October 13), the property was in the same condition as when he was moved out of it - wallpaper was peeling off, black walls were still rife with mould and there was an unpleasant damp smell.
William and his family first moved into the flat 25 years ago after arriving from Ghana as refugees.
His late wife Elizabeth was moved into the living room during the final months of her life because the couple's bedroom was extremely cold and had deteriorated from the damp.
Elizabeth later died at St George's Hospital because of complications with her lungs, William told MyLondon.
He said: "After the death of my wife, all of this became very serious - They (Clarion) are not serious, that company is not serious, it’s not fair at all, they don’t care at all - they don’t take action."
William has trouble walking, high blood pressure and Diabetes Type 2. He wants Clarion to begin repair works or move him into accommodation immediately, as the stress of staying in a hotel has caused him to faint in the past.
He said: "All of a sudden I saw myself on the floor, it took me 15 minutes to wake up.
"I was thinking they (Clarion) were going to do repairs within a month, but it’s been three months now. What are they waiting for… I don’t know, they are lazy," he said.
According to William, Clarion pay £1,954 a month for his hotel stay - which adds up to almost £6,000 spent so far.
The hotel bill has made William question why the housing association is taking so long to repair his flat or place him somewhere new.
William said he calls Clarion every day for updates on his repairs and hotel stay - but has not yet received a definitive answer.
William has now been offered new accommodation and was told his current flat will be refurbished by November 7.
A Clarion spokesperson said: "The safety and wellbeing of our residents is our priority and we have been working with Mr Frempong to get the repairs completed at his property.
"In order to start the work we first worked with him to clear his personal belongings, which took longer than we hoped, and then an asbestos survey was carried out which resulted in asbestos removal being required.
"This has now been safely completed and we have scheduled the required work and updated Mr Frempong on the timings.
"Mr Frempong has said that he is interested in moving into another property and we are working with him to explore options."
Stephen Hammond, MP for Wimbledon, Raynes Park, Morden and Motspur Park, said: "It is appalling that Mr Frempong has been treated so badly.
"Clarion should have sorted out the damp problems two years ago. Unfortunately Mr Frempong's circumstances are not unique and I consistently take up cases on behalf of local residents.
"Clarion need to improve their repair and maintenance services – local people have right to expect safe and habitable homes.
"I will of course help Mr Frempong to resolve these problems as soon as possible."Read More Read More