The Welsh Government will meet with shops to review fire-break lockdown rules stopping supermarkets from selling non-essential items.
Health Minister Vaughan Gething also clarified that "discretion" would be given in cases where people needed to buy goods currently not on sale during the two weeks the regulations are in place.
On Friday, supermarkets blocked entrances to aisles and taped off goods selling products deemed "non-essential" such as clothes and homeware.
The rules were introduced as part of the fire-break lockdown regulations in place until November 9 to try and stop the spread of coronavirus. You can follow our live coronavirus updates here.
But the decision has proved controversial, with one man filmed allegedly removing coverings on non-essential items in a Welsh Tesco over the weekend.
More than 24,000 people have now signed a petition calling on the Labour administration to reconsider this rule.
Speaking during Monday's Welsh Government press briefing, Mr Gething said: "We will take action today so that retailers understand that our rules already allow people in acute need to buy the basics, which are essential to them over the next two weeks.
"But we also ask people to understand the very real crisis we are facing at the moment in Wales and to please treat people working in our shops with the respect they deserve.
"We are meeting retailers this afternoon to review the regulations and guidance to make sure it is being applied fairly and consistently.
"If there are anomalies we will look at whether the guidance needs to be revised and we will also strengthen it to make it clear supermarkets have discretion to sell to people who are in genuine need."
Check the latest case figures where you are:
During the briefing, Mr Gething also addressed a photo shared on Twitter which appeared to show feminine hygiene products blocked off at a Tesco store.
At the time, Tesco said in a tweet that it had been told by the Welsh Government not to sell such items during the fire-break lockdown, but the supermarket giant later clarified that it had made a mistake.
Mr Gething said: "I was very saddened to see this particular exchange on social media this morning from a supermarket telling a woman she could not buy period products.
"This is simply wrong. It’s an incorrect reading of both the regulations and the guidance. And I’m very sorry this woman was given such information."
On Friday, Asda said it hadn't been given a list of what was or was not classed as an essential item or been given "sufficient notice" to implement the changes.
A spokesman said: "The Welsh Government’s fire-break regulations means that we can only sell products they deem to be essential.
“We have been given very little time to implement these changes or clarity on what is deemed ‘essential’. We have expressed our deep concerns about the implications for customers accessing products they genuinely need and the risk to our colleagues' safety.
"We will continue to do our utmost to keep our customers and colleagues safe and would appeal to our customers to be patient when they shop with us and to continue to treat our colleagues with respect as they do their best to help them understand the new regulations."