A "vile" patient hurled boiling water over female hospital staff then shouted "I'd p***ed in that cup earlier".

Stephen Shaw scalded two victims in a shocking attack, before taunting: "Do you like having my p*** all over you?"

The OAP terrorised four women in total when on a mental health ward at Hollins Park Hospital in Warrington.

READ MORE: Killer yob, racing teen dad and lying death driver jailed this week

The 66-year-old was detained under the Mental Health Act at the Winwick facility between June 27 and August 18, 2020.

However, a clinical psychologist found Shaw had the capacity to understand and control his actions, and he was discharged from the hospital with no formal mental health diagnosis.

And Liverpool Crown Court heard the staff believed his actions were behavioural and not down to any mental health condition.

Frank Dillon, prosecuting, said Shaw attacked a deputy ward manager on the Austen Ward, at around 4pm, on July 14 last year.

Water was "gushing" out of Shaw's bedroom into the corridor, but he said he was on the toilet and refused to come out, instead repeatedly flushing, so "gushes of water kept coming out from underneath his door".

When staff opened the door they found him sitting on the toilet "fully dressed", not using it, but "continually flushing", as water came out of the base of the toilet as though it was damaged.

Six or seven members of staff came to remove him, but he said: "You can't lay hands on me because I have got a pacemaker."

He was told it was safe to use restraint on a patient with a pacemaker, but replied: "I would have hit you by now if you were males."

Shaw leaned forward and grabbed two fingers on the deputy ward manager's left hand, then grabbed her right arm, causing three small bruises.

Eventually he was restrained, but afterwards told his victim: "I could have broken your fingers but I didn't."

The court heard he attacked another deputy ward manager when she went to give him medication, at around 1.30pm, on July 20.

She entered his room with a healthcare assistant, but when she gave him a cup of water and his medication, he said: "You are starting to get on my nerves young lady."

Mr Dillon said he leaned forward, grabbed her left arm and twisted her wrist, which was still sore three days later, then snatched the cup of water and threw it over her.

The two women retreated and told him he would be reported, but he replied "I hit a woman at the care home so hard she ended up on the floor, nothing got done about that because of mental health", then laughed.

That same healthcare assistant and a healthcare worker were attacked by Shaw at around 11.45pm on August 12, 2020.

They were working on a night shift when the weather was really hot, and patients were asking for jugs of juice in their rooms.

Mr Dillon said Shaw went into a dining room and removed a milk jug, then went back to his bedroom, "smirking" at the pair, as though he wanted them to challenge him.

They knocked on his door, opened it with their keys and asked for the jug, but Shaw replied: "You're not having it, I'm on Facebook at the moment."

Liverpool's courts are some of the busiest in the UK, with a huge variety of cases being heard each week.

To get a behind the scenes look at how they work and the moments that don't make our stories, subscribe to our free weekly Echo Court Files newsletter, written by court reporters Neil Docking and Lauren Wise.

How do I sign up?

It's free, easy and takes no time at all.

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you're there, put your email address where it says at the top, then click on the Echo Court Files button. There are other newsletters available too if you want them as well.
  3. When you've made your choice, press the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Mr Dillon said he threw a mobile phone on his bed, then picked up a cup containing about 200ml of water and charged towards them.

He said the "boiling water" hit the healthcare worker in the face and down the left side of her body and arm, and the healthcare assistant on her right arm.

The healthcare worker immediately felt it "stinging her face and body".

Mr Dillon said: "She felt a massive shock as it hit her and she instinctively stepped back and was pulling her uniform away from her body as she could feel that the water was hot.

"She would say that the water was scalding hot and she had to go and apply cold compresses immediately in order to stop any redness and burns."

The healthcare assistant also went to get treatment for her arm, "which was very red".

Pictured is Liverpool Crown Court

We have launched a Facebook group to bring you the latest stories from court all in one place.

It will feature reports from Liverpool Crown Court and cases connected to Merseyside.

To join and get updates, click here.

Later on that night, Shaw shouted: "I'd p***ed in that cup earlier, do you like having my p*** all over you?"

The healthcare worker said she suffered redness to the left side of her face and her left breast, chest and arm for two hours.

Mr Dillon said: "The incident made her feel victimised by the defendant. She was totally shocked and she cried when she got home as the delayed shock had kicked in by this point."

The healthcare assistant had reddening to her right arm which lasted and was sore for a few hours.

Shaw declined to answer any questions when interviewed by police in November 2020.

In a prepared statement he said: "I deny that whilst in Hollins Park I assaulted anyone, I was restrained and hurt by the staff on several occasions, I cannot be specific about the dates."

Stories from Liverpool Crown Court

Shaw, of Telford Close, Higher Hurdsfield, Macclesfield, later admitted four counts of assault by beating of an emergency worker.

He was brought to court by social services and a carer and appeared in the dock in a wheelchair.

Simon Parry, defending, said his client didn't have any previous convictions and urged the judge to spare him jail.

Can you help us keep Merseyside covered?

He said Shaw would find prison difficult because of his health, especially during the pandemic, and that the offences were committed over a short period of time and he hadn't offended since.

However, Judge Louise Brandon said Shaw didn't appear to show any remorse and described the attacks as "vile".

She jailed him for 40 weeks - around nine months.