UEFA have announced that they have taken action to remove the current judge in their legal battle with the three remaining European Super League clubs.

The European football governing body had said on Monday night that it had dropped its independent disciplinary case against Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus , while suspending the fines given to the other nine founding clubs, including Liverpool , following a Spanish court order.

However, UEFA believes it has acted lawfully throughout proceedings and revealed in a statement on Tuesday morning that they have requested the judge be recused from the case, following his decision to ban UEFA from imposing its own sanctions.

UEFA said that it believes there are “significant irregularities in these proceedings” and has filed a motion for the judge Manuel Ruiz de Lara to be replaced, with the statement suggesting that he should “immediately stand aside” until the motion is fully considered.

Get all the latest Liverpool breaking news, team news, transfer rumours, injury updates plus analysis of what's next for the Reds.

You'll also get the latest transfer talk and analysis every day for FREE!

Sign up here - it only takes a few seconds!

A court in Madrid had initially ruled that UEFA could not punish Juventus, Real Madrid, and Barcelona, as the trio had been allowed to re-enter the Champions League.

The fines placed on the other nine founding members, who withdrew from the Super League following backlash, were also suspended as UEFA suggested it wished “to avoid any unnecessary complication”, while the legal case was ongoing.

However, UEFA’s decision to appeal for the removal of the judge means that disciplinary proceedings against the three remaining ESL clubs could re-open; while the six Premier League clubs originally involved, including the Reds, agreed to pay a combined £22m settlement in June.

Despite previously appearing to cooperate with the judge’s demands, UEFA has said it is intending to submit a formal appeal with a higher court, the Provincial Court of Madrid.

The governing body has rejected the suggestion that it has acted unlawfully during the proceedings with the European Super League clubs and submitted further evidence to the Spanish courts on Tuesday, documenting their compliance.