Here are your rugby headlines for Tuesday, November 30.
Cardiff face 28-0 defeat
Cardiff Rugby face an automatic 28-0 defeat if they fail to field a team for forthcoming European fixture against Toulouse.
The December 11 match appears in grave doubt, with the Welsh side currently isolating in a hotel in South Africa after two of their player tested positive for Covid-19.
They currently have no idea when they will be allowed to leave the country and would then face a 10-day hotel quarantine back in the UK as things stand.
And the Daily Mail report there will be no postponing of European fixtures if, as seems likely, the December 11 game cannot be played.
Instead, Toulouse would be given an automatic 28-0 win and five points.
The same principle will apply to the Scarlets, who are currently in quarantine in a Belfast hotel. That is due to end a few days before they play Bristol, although there are concerns the lack of preparation the squad would have had raises health and safety issues.
French legend considering future after double knee injury
Former France captain Mathieu Bastareaud is considering retirement after seriously injuring both of his knees last weekend.
The bulldozing centre will see his current deal with Lyon expire this summer and has only played two games for the club this season after recovering from a hand injury.
The 33-year-old, who played 54 Tests for Les Bleus, will have surgery this week.
“Unfortunately the results of the MRI show a quadricipital tendon rupture in the two knees,” the former centre, who now plays at No.8, said on Twitter.
“It’s an enormous blow. Now, it’s a long road in front of me and I’m surrounded by my family, those close to me and the club.
“I will take time needed to get back to being 100%… and for my future, I will give myself time to reflect.”
Erasmus to 'tell his side of the story'
Springboks Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus has vowed to open up on 'his side of the story' in a new documentary being worked on with South African broadcaster Super Sport.
Two weeks ago, Erasmus was banned from the sport for two months, and from attending matchdays for the next 10 months, after he released an hour long video of perceived injustices during the Lions tour.
The video detailed numerous decisions that he felt referee Nic Berry got wrong in the first Test.
Erasmus was then hauled in front of a disciplinary panel and then banned.
He has since publicly apologised to Berry and withdrew his appeal against the decision.
But it seems we have not heard the last of it.
He tweeted: "So excited!! part of a documentary that we’re working on (I do have some time at hand) with Supersport I’ll be able to share my side of the story !! Thank you @SuperSportTV"
World Rugby will be watching closely.
URC fill void left by postponements
The United Rugby Championship have brought forward South African derby matches to fill the void left by postponed fixtures this weekend.
Cardiff, Scarlets, Zebre and Munster all saw their two-game tours in the country cut short before a ball was kicked after the emergence of new Covid-19 variant.
The games are now postponed and yet to be rescheduled as Cardiff and Munster continue to work to get home. The Scarlets have since made it to Belfast and Zebre are quarantining in Parma.
However, to fill the space, the league has brought forward a round of South African derby matches that were originally scheduled to take place during the Six Nations.
A statement said: "In the wake of the Round 6 and 7 matches that were postponed last week due to the emergence of a new variant of COVID-19, it was decided to move two local derbies forward.
"As a result, the Cell C Sharks will now host the Vodacom Bulls in Durban on Friday evening (1700 UK/1900 SA at Jonsson Kings Park), while the DHL Stormers will face the Emirates Lions in Cape Town on Saturday afternoon (1500 UK/1700 SA at DHL Stadium)."
Murphy hoping for positive response from Munster as South Africa departure nears
Savea recommits to All Blacks with long-term deal
Ardie Save has signed a new four-year deal with New Zealand Rugby.
The 28-year-old, who has also extended his contract with the Hurricanes until 2023, skippered his country for the first time in 2021, and has played 59 Test matches for the All Blacks since his debut in 2016.
He's been a key figure for his side over the last year, starting 10 of the team's 15 Tests, taking the captaincy four times during the recent Rugby Championship.
And he admits he's happy to have brought about some certainty for himself and the rest of his family for the next four years.
“I’ve really enjoyed this season, both the good and the bad,” he said. “While it’s taken awhile to finalise my contract, my wife Saskia and I are very grateful that I’m able to play here in New Zealand for another four years. Our family is settled and happy in New Zealand and there are things I want to challenge and pursue with New Zealand Rugby, the All Blacks and the ‘Canes, both on and off the field.
“Right now, I’m looking forward to really getting away from rugby and getting mentally refreshed to come back and be better in the 2022 season.”