Police have released pictures of a car and camper van believed to be linked to a Madeleine McCann suspect in a bid to solve the cold case.

A German prisoner - who has not been named - has been identified as a suspect in the disappearance of Maddie in 2007.

He has been linked to an early 1980s VW T3 Westfalia camper van, with a white upper body and yellow skirting.

The van was pictured in the Praia da Luz area in Portugal, when the then three-year-old went missing.

The suspect is believed to have been living in it for days or weeks before and after May 3.

Madeleine McCann vanished in 2007

He has also been linked to a 1993 Jaguar XJR6 with a German number plate seen in Praia da Luz and surrounding areas in 2006 and 2007.

The day after Madeleine went missing, the suspect got the car re-registered in Germany under someone else’s name.

It it is believed the vehicle was still in Portugal.

Both vehicles have now been seized by German police.

A VW T3 Westfalia campervan that has been linked to the suspect

Metropolitan Police said the suspect is 43; white; with short, blond hair - possibly fair; about 6ft; and of slim build.

The German national was around Praia da Luz on the Algarve coast at the time Madeleine vanished on May 3, 2007.

She was on holiday with her parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, and her twin siblings Sean and Amelie.

Madeleine disappeared shortly before her fourth birthday. She would have turned 17 last month.

Officers are launching a joint appeal with the Federal Criminal Police Office of Germany (BKA) and the Portuguese Policia Judiciaria (PJ), including a £20,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of the person responsible of Madeleine's disappearance.

A 1993 Jaguar XJR6 that has been linked to the suspect.

The Met’s investigation has identified more than 600 people as being potentially significant and were tipped off about the German national, already known to detectives, following a 2017 appeal 10 years after she went missing.

German police are treating her disappearance as a murder investigation.

The Met’s Operation Grange, launched in 2013, has always considered the case a missing person inquiry.

A statement from Madeleine’s parents, read by Det Chief Insp Mark Cranwell, said: “We welcome the appeal today regarding the disappearance of our daughter Madeleine.

“We would like to thank the police forces involved for their continued efforts in the search for Madeleine.

Madeleine McCann

“All we have ever wanted is to find her, uncover the truth and bring those responsible to justice.

“We will never give up hope of finding Madeleine alive, but whatever the outcome may be, we need to know as we need to find peace.

“We will be making no further comment in relation to the appeal today.

“We would like to thank the general public for their ongoing support and encourage anyone who has information directly related to the appeal to contact police.”

The Metropolitan Police have not named the man, 43, who is described as white with short blond hair, possibly fair, and about 6ft tall with a slim build.

Detectives are also appealing for information about two mobile phone numbers, one of which is believed to have been used by the suspect on the day of Madeleine’s disappearance.

The first, (+351) 912 730 680, is believed to have been used by the suspect and received a call from another Portuguese mobile, (+351) 916 510 683, while in the Praia da Luz area, starting at 7.32pm and ending at 8.02pm on the night of May 3 2007.

The suspect is known to have been linked to the Praia da Luz area between 1995 and 2007, with some short spells in Germany.

He is described as having a 'transient lifestyle', living in his camper van for days at a time.

Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

Police are appealing for anyone who may have seen the camper van in or around Praia da Luz on the night Madeleine went missing, the days before or weeks after, to come forward.

Detectives also want to speak with anyone who saw the van together with the Jaguar, or individually, during the spring and summer of 2007.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Cranwell, who leads Operation Grange, said: “It’s more than 13 years since Madeleine went missing and none of us can imagine what it must be like for her family, not knowing what happened or where she is.

“Following the ten- year anniversary, the Met received information about a German man who was known to have been in and around Praia da Luz.

"We have been working with colleagues in Germany and Portugal and this man is a suspect in Madeleine’s disappearance.

“The Met conducted a number of enquiries and in November 2017 engaged with the BKA who agreed to work with the Met.

“Since then a huge amount of work has taken place by both the Met, the BKA and the Polícia Judiciária.

“While this male is a suspect we retain an open mind as to his involvement and this remains a missing person inquiry.

“Our job as detectives is to follow the evidence, maintain an open mind and establish what happened on that day in May 2007.

“Please contact us without delay so we can get answers for Madeleine’s family.”

The Operation Grange incident room can be contacted via 0207 321 9251 or [email protected]