A student fined £6,000 for breaching self-isolation rules has been pictured for the first time.

Carys Ann Ingram flaunted her trip to the Channel Island of Jersey on Instagram before contract tracers picked up on it and had her arrested.

The 22-year-old flew from Manchester to Jersey on October 12 to visit family.

She should have self-isolated until she had received a second negative test, which was due to be taken on day five.

She was then told that someone sitting near her on the flight had tested positive.

Carys Ann Ingram is seen in this photograph

Ingram was contacted and told she must self-isolate and would have to undergo a further test eight days after her arrival - but instead posted a picture of herself eating out - on  Instagram.

Caroline Maffia, Strategic Lead for Contact Tracing, Monitoring and Enforcement, said: "It is regrettable that someone should endanger the health of other Islanders after being informed of the need to self-isolate. 

"This fine demonstrates that we will pursue prosecution for those found flouting the law. Anyone identified as a direct contact of a Covid-positive person must understand the importance of following public health advice and abiding by the law."

Ingram visited restaurants, went to a friend's house and went shopping when she was supposed to be in quarantine upon arrival at Jersey, the Island's magistrate’s court heard.

Ingram enjoyed a trip to beautiful Jersey

She was seen in Jersey, visiting the seafront heritage site First Tower and then at El Tico restaurant in St Ouen's Bay with the latter breach being uncovered when she posted pictures of herself on social media.

Three days after arriving from the city, which at the time was an amber zone, she was caught shopping in St Helier in her first breach.

The authorities made a number of attempts to contact her at her home address but they got no answer.

Ingram, of Salford, who was in Jersey visiting family, was finally reached by phone by the Contact Tracing Team and subsequently arrested.

Ingram posted a pic from her meal at El Tico restaurant in St Ouen's Bay

She pleaded guilty to two counts of breaching self-isolation regulations and was fined a total of £6,600.

The Government is considering reducing the Test and Trace self-isolation period to seven days, a report has claimed.

Currently, contacts of infected people traced by the NHS are ordered to isolate for 14 days to curb the spread of  coronavirus.

However officials on Boris Johnson's taskforce are considering halving the length to one week due to worries about poor compliance, according to  The Sunday Telegraph.

The move is reportedly being considered due to Tory dissatisfaction over the effectiveness of the contact-tracing service.

It follows worries over official data suggesting too few people were being contacted by the service.