A university student who suffered second degree burns after her water bottle burst could lose feeling in her feet.

Pamela McPhee was left screaming in pain as boiling water covered her legs and feet when the bottle began leaking suddenly.

The 25-year-old's husband Robert, 32, told her he could "see the skin falling away" as he ran cold water from the shower over her burns.

Speaking to the Mirror Online, she said she waited around 25 minutes for an ambulance and then a further three hours in A&E at Manchester Royal Infirmary in excruciating pain.

Pamela suffered second degree burns
Pamela said Robert could see her skin "falling away"

Having been transferred to a burns unit eight miles away in the early hours, she spent three sleepless nights and was informed she may need skin grafts.

Pamela, who lives in Castlefield, Manchester, with her partner, said: "They've told me skin grafts are a last resort because I will not get 100 per cent of the feeling back if they do."

Initially she was forced to rely on a wheelchair but is now coping on crutches as she awaits news on the potential procedure over the next few weeks.

She had just settled down in the living room with the water bottle between her thighs around 6pm on November 29 when the incident unfolded.

Pamela said a skin graft could lead to her losing feeling in her feet
She is now warning others about using hot water bottles

"I'd just sat on the sofa with it tucked in between my thighs. The lid was on properly. Then all of this boiling water covered me. I screamed and was running around.

"My husband was on the other sofa, he didn't understand what happened at first but then he saw the water bottle. He said it looked like it had melted.

"He got me under the shower and took my trousers and socks off."

The student, who is studying for a masters in Forensic Science at Manchester Metropolitan University, said her clothes had not had chance to stick to her skin.

“We got them off straight away," she continued. "I got in the empty bath and Robert showered water over it. He said as he was running water over my legs he could see the skin falling away.

Pamela and Robert McPhee

"I was telling him to phone my mum. He said we needed to call for an ambulance first."

Pamela, originally from Carnousitie, Scotland, was told by hospital staff she needed to go to the Adult Burns Centre in Wythenshawe and was taken by taxi at around 2am the following morning.

She spent 10 days in the unit's high dependency ward but said initially she struggled to sleep due to the pain.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

“I did try to get some sleep [the first night]. I had to sit straight up, I was trying to get to sleep but couldn’t really relax. I didn't sleep at all for three days."

Having been released from the unit Pamela is now back home but has to return every couple of days to have her dressing and bandages re-done.

She said the process leaves her in excruciating pain and in need of morphine, while Robert must help her shower.

Pamela went on to say the staff who treated her at the burns unit said any water bottles over 12 months old should be replaced and to never fill them with boiling water.

She said she is unsure where the water bottle was bought or who the manufacturer is as Robert had thrown it away.

"People need to be careful. I'm never going to use one again. I used to always use one. If you must use one, wrap it up so the blanket will take the water if it leaks," she added.