The sister of Sabina Nessa visited the scene of her tragic death to read tributes left in her memory. by grieving members of the public.

A woman, understood to be Sabina's sister Jebina, was supported by a family liaison officer as she read some of the cards left to the “brilliant” 28-year-old.

She also collected a white box with a picture of Ms Nessa on it from vigil organiser Annie Gibbs.

It had been used after the memorial to collect notes of condolence written by attendees.

Jebina visited the site of her sister's death today (

Image:

David Dyson)

Ms Nessa had been walking to meet a friend at a pub near her home when she was attacked in Cator Park, Kidbrooke, on September 17.

Her body was discovered by a member of the public the next day, having been hidden under a pile of leaves, it was reported.

On Friday evening, hundreds of mourners including tearful relatives gathered for a candlelit vigil in memory of the Rushey Green Primary School teacher, who was just 28 when she died.

Ms Islam broke down as she addressed crowds.

Thousands of people attending a candle lit vigil in her honour on Friday (

Image:

PA)
Her sister broke down at the memorial event (

Image:

Tim Merry)

She said: "Words cannot describe how we are feeling, this feels like we are stuck in a bad dream and can't get out of it - our world is shattered, we are simply lost for words.

"No family should go through what we are going through."

Today Ms Gibbs, who shared an emotional embrace with Ms Nessa’s sister, said of Friday’s service: “I think it really honoured Sabina. It was very respectful.

"I believe there was possibly as many as 3,000 people who attended which was incredible.

“Everyone came there with the same heart. They just wanted the family to feel loved and supported and that was achieved.

Ms Nessa was walking to the pub when she was attacked (

Image:

PA)

“We really wanted to make sure we got the message out there that we want justice and this is not something that we expect in our community. But it’s not going to divide us.

“We’re going to keep fighting until we find who has done this. I was really delighted this morning to see an arrest has been made.”

Ms Gibbs fears some people are forgetting that there is a family grieving losing a much loved sister and daughter at the core of a case promoting global discussion about wider issues.

She added: “At the moment, we need to focus on the fact there is a family who has lost someone. Changes will come later.

Dittons Road in Eastbourne where Police stopped a vehicle at 3am this morning (

Image:

Adam Gerrard / Daily Mirror)
A Nissan Micra, believed to be linked to the arrest of a 38-year-old man in connection with the murder of Ms Nessa, is transported away from a compound in Eastbourne used by Sussex Police (

Image:

Eddie Mitchell / Dan Jessup)

“All this political stuff and organisations capitalising on it is just really not needed right now and it is wrong at this time. It is too soon. Barely a week has passed.

“This is a time for us to remember Sabina, not blaming or politics. Let’s respect the family. Let’s focus on Sabina and her loved ones.”

Meanwhile police have said the man arrested in East Sussex today is a 36-year-old man.

On Thursday evening, investigators released CCTV images of a man they urgently wished to speak to, and one of a silver car they believed he had access to.

The Met said on Saturday evening that the balding man is believed to have been carrying a reflective red object that he may have been trying to conceal up his sleeve.

Hundreds of tributes have been left at the park (

Image:

David Dyson)
Flowers have been piled high in Kidbrooke (

Image:

David Dyson)

He was captured on CCTV as he walked through Pegler Square in Kidbrooke, south-east London, where Ms Nessa had been heading on the evening she died.

Scotland Yard would not confirm if the suspect was the man in the footage.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil John, from the Met's Specialist Crime Command, said: "Sabina's family have been informed of this significant development and they continue to be supported by specialist officers."

Two other men aged 40 and 38 were previously arrested and released under investigation.

Today a car thought to be connected to the inquiry was taken from a compound in Eastbourne used by Sussex Police.