A Tesco shopper was found dead in the toilet after the store's cleaner forced open the door.

Leighton Griffin was spotted on CCTV footage going into the disabled toilets at the supermarket in Cannock at 10.08am on November 6.

However, the body of the 43-year-old was not discovered until just after 3pm by a cleaner.

An inquest into Mr Griffin's death found that it was "drug-related". Alcohol, diazepam, anti-convulstant medication pregabalin, cocaine, morphine and heroin were found in his system, reports Stoke on Trent Live.

Staffordshire Police has investigated Mr Griffin's death.

PC Rachel Broxton-Shaw said: "At 10am the first cleaner checked the public toilets. Everything was fine. At 10.08am he comes up the escalator into the store and goes towards the cafe, turns right, and goes into the disabled toilets.

"He is alone and nobody else goes in. The cleaner does her hourly check at 11am and finds the toilet is engaged and moved onto the ladies and gents.

"If there is somebody in there she doesn't disturb them because the next hour she will clean again. She goes at 12pm and it's engaged. Again at 1pm it's her final check and she is concerned because it's unusual for somebody to be in consecutive hours.

"At 2pm when the second cleaner takes over she mentions the disabled toilets have not been cleaned since the morning.

"At 3pm the second cleaner checks the toilets and it's locked. He is unhappy with this and speaks to his manager so they force the door open.

"They found Leighton on the floor. He has been deceased for a while."

Tesco called 999 and Leighton, of Lion Street, Rugeley, was pronounced dead at 3.57pm. He had six wraps of heroin - and one of them had been used.

PC Broxton-Shaw added: "He had obtained the drugs prior to him being seen on CCTV at Tesco.

"Leighton was clearly dead when he was found by staff. There was evidence of a foil syringe and a lighter."

We offer a free email newsletter service so you can get the latest stories from across Staffordshire straight to your inbox.

Each StaffordshireLive newsletter bulletin will contain the top latest news stories from places like Burton, Stafford, Uttoxeter and beyond. There will be the latest breaking news, what's on events and the hottest talking points straight to your email - and it's easy and quick to sign up . To subscribe, click here.

Decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails? No problem - you can just follow the unsubscribe link.

The cause of death has been given as heroin toxicity, with drugs and alcohol contributory factors. It is not known when and where the drugs were purchased.

South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh said: "I believe he had willingly taken these drugs himself. He was not intending to die but has taken more than his system could cope with.

"Indeed he was unwell at the time. This should be described as a drug-related death."