A shop has been fined after hygiene inspectors were greeted with rodent-infested and blood-splattered scenes.

The owner of the grocery store has been fined thousands over a string of food hygiene failings.

Pictures show the grim conditions at Najis Continental Supermarket, which lead to bosses being prosecuted.

Inspectors found the food store covered in blood, dirt and grease, with plug sockets were left exposed.

Charges against the business and its owner said it had an "active rodent infestation" and was "filthy throughout," reports Chronicle Live.

Inspectors found meat kept in bucket containers

One local councillor claimed the conditions were a "risk to public health".

Both director Ahmed Kosar, and his firm Z and N Foods LTD, were prosecuted by Newcastle City Council on Friday.

At South East Northumberland Magistrates' Court, both Kosar and the firm admitted six breaches of the food hygiene regulations.

"We took the decision to prosecute after our officers carried out a routine inspection and found appalling conditions including raw meat in uncovered buckets, posing a risk to public health," said Newcastle City Council cabinet member for environment and regulatory services, Cllr John-Paul Stephenson.

The conditions were so bad that, following the October inspection, the council had to wait until the prosecution was concluded to make its full findings public.

Inspectors found a raft of faults, including dirt on the stairs, walls - and in machinery.

Traces of meat found on grinders at the store
Ahmed Kosar leaves South East Northumberland Magistrates Court in Bedlington

Water leaked on the floor because hand basin pipes were not hooked up to the drainage system, while walls in the bakery were bare and a magnet for dirt.

And even if they wanted to clean it up, staff would have had a problem - as there was no disinfectant or sanitiser present.

After the pictures were submitted in evidence the firm was fined £4,500 while Kosar - as director - was fined £1,188.

He must also individually pay £1,620 in costs and a £119 surcharge while the company was ordered to pay a £181 surcharge.

The food store was prosecuted over a string of hygiene failings

Kosar was also asked to pay the council another £200 to help cover their legal costs.

According to the latest food hygiene ratings, the firm has since been awarded a three-star rating.

"These are significant fines against the company director and the company and I hope they send a strong message to other shops breaching food safety regulations," added Cllr Stephenson.

“This has been a costly lesson for the business, and I hope they have now cleaned up their act.”