A legal document which Prince Andrew’s team think could sink the sexual assault case he’s facing is set to be handed over.

The item is a ‘release’ signed in 2019 by Virginia Giuffre after her settlement with sex trafficker billionaire Jeffrey Epstein.

Her lawyers claim it to be ‘irrelevant’ because it only exempts lawyers, agents, heirs and employees from liability in Epstein’s affairs, the Sun reported.

But Andrew’s legal team believe it could also apply to the duke, 61, and quash her civil action.

Miss Giuffre’s lawyer David Boies said he was happy to hand the document over.

He said: ‘Although we believe that the release is irrelevant to the case against Prince Andrew, now that service has been accepted and the case is proceeding to a determination on the merits, we believe that counsel for Prince Andrew have a right to review the release and to make whatever arguments they believe appropriate based on it.

‘Accordingly, we have given Mr Epstein’s estate notice of Prince Andrew’s request and have asked the estate to consent to our providing a copy of the release to Prince Andrew’s counsel.’

Miss Giuffre says she was made to have sex with Andrew as a minor while she was trafficked as a 17-year-old by Epstein.

Her claim is seeking unspecified damages for three alleged counts of abuse at the London home of Epstein’s former girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell; at Epstein’s mansion in New York and on his private island in the Caribbean.

This week Andrew’s team accepted they had been served legal papers in connection with the case.

The Queen’s second son has until October 29 to respond to his accuser’s allegations, which he denies.

A source with knowledge of the proceedings told the Sun on Sunday: ‘The decision to bring in high-profile US lawyer Andrew Brettler to fight the civil case marks a significant turning point in approach.

‘The US team will be looking to robustly engage and challenge the claims from Mrs Giuffre in a bid to provide the duke with a platform to finally clear his name.

‘They will be looking to examine and dismantle the claims one by one.’

MORE : Andrew finally accepts legal papers for Virginia Giuffre’s sexual assault case

MORE : Prince Andrew ‘stays in hiding at Balmoral’ despite birth of granddaughter

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.