A Scots family was forced to jump from a burning flat as the blaze took over their home.

Fire crews raced to the inferno at a first-floor flat on Craigentinny Road, in Edinburgh

Two young women were rushed to hospital after sustaining injuries fleeing the flat, after jumping out a window to escape the flames, reports Edinburgh Live.

A 15-year-old girl suffered a broken ankle and a 21-year-old woman broke her back and her leg.

William Anderson's daughter Aimee and son Liam were inside the property when the fire broke out, along with their mother Kirsty, 41, and his son Brandon's girlfriend Tiffany.

He revealed the blaze is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault and started in the bedroom before engulfing the flat.

The family's beloved pets – a two-year-old Jack Russell Junior and a 15-year-old cat called Fluffy – also tragically perished in the fire.

William said he feared he could lose his whole family when he got the call there had been a fire.

He said: "I was 20 minutes away when I got the call. I couldn't get a taxi or anything, but had to get along there. I honestly feared I could lost my family. The saving grace is that they are all going to be OK.

"Everyone is just in a state of shock just now. The cat and dog sadly didn't make it, and they've lost everything."

Aimee, 15, broke her ankle jumping to safety from a window while Tiffany, 21, suffered a broken leg and back. Liam, 19, and Kirsty, 41, were treated for smoke inhalation.

He added: "But we've had so many messages of support from people in the community. A lot of people are offering their help, which is nice at this time."

Did you know you can keep up to date with the latest news by signing up to our daily newsletter?

We send a morning and lunchtime newsletter covering the latest headlines every day.

We also send coronavirus updates at 5pm on weekdays, and a round up of the week's must-read stories on Sunday afternoons.

Signing up is simple, easy and free.

You can pop your email address into the sign up box above, hit Subscribe and we'll do the rest.

Alternatively, you can sign up and check out the rest of our newsletters here.

A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were alerted at 12.49pm on Friday, June 11 to reports of a fire at a flat on Craigentinny Road, Edinburgh.

A funding page has been set up in a bid to help support the family during this tough time here.