Meghan Markle and Harry: Experts on relationship with Queen
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex released a statement, which has been widely criticised, insisting "we can all live a life of service" and "service is universal" after they were stripped of their royal patronages. But socialites Sabine Getty and Lady Alice Manners reacted with disbelief to Meghan and Harry's comments.
Taking to Instagram, Sabine urged former actress Meghan to "take a seat".
She posted: "Am I actually reading this?! Saying this to the Queen who is 94 years old and has been in public service her entire life? Girl. Take a seat."
Alice then shared Sabine's post with the two raised hands emoji, the Daily Mail reported.
Meghan, 39, and Harry, 36, quit royal duties in March 2020.
Meghan and Harry have been shamed over their Megxit swipe at the Queen
Earlier this month it was confirmed the couple will not be returning as working royals.
The Sussexes' swipe was in contrast to the Royal Family's statement, which said they were "saddened" by the Megxit decision but Meghan and Harry remained "much-loved members of the family".
The couple, who are giving a tell-all interview to US chat show host Oprah Winfrey, are now living in California with their young son Archie and are expecting their second child.
FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES ON THE ROYAL FAMILY:
The Duke of Sussex was accused of having "double standards" in his attitude towards The Crown by a royal commentator, after his new interview with James Corden aired last week.
Prince Harry dubbed the UK press “toxic” — and said he was “more comfortable” with Netflix’s fictionalised take on the Royal Family’s life, The Crown.
An acquaintance of the heir apparent and a royal commentator, Howard Hodgson, exclusively told Express.co.uk: “Harry is recording double standards here.
“It doesn’t matter that The Crown is fictional as most people think it is accurate.”
Manon Dark takes over from James Bickerton
Sunday 28 February
10.15pm update: Harry’s new PR strategy explained after he admitted: ‘I've got a small window of interest'
Prince Harry's new PR strategy could be explained by a resurfaced quote from an interview where he admits he only has a "smallish window" of time, before the public turn their attention to the next generation of royals.
Prince Harry surprised royal watchers last week when he made an appearance on the Late Late Show.
He spent an afternoon on the top of a tour bus travelling around LA with his friend and presenter James Corden, discussing both light-hearted elements of royal life and the serious reasons why he left the royal frontline.
This candid interview was heavily criticised, as it seemed to be at odds with Harry’s determination to live a private life.
8.51pm update: Prince George faces ‘uncharted territory’ over Royal Family’s traditional military path
Prince George is facing "uncharted territory" when it comes to his future in the Armed Forces - even though it is tradition for future monarchs to serve, a royal documentary has claimed.
George, 7, is the eldest son of Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, meaning he is third-in-line to the throne.
He is expected to tread the same path as his father, his grandfather Prince Charles, and his great-grandmother, the Queen, and spend his whole life preparing to one day become sovereign.
This usually includes undertaking a stint in the military.
Prince Charles should step aside for William according to a poll of Express.co.uk readers
7.49pm update: Charles urged to step aside and let William be King - 'Leave him with his projects!'
Prince Charles has been urged to step aside and let Prince William be King by Express.co.uk readers, but others have also called on Prince William to have "some fun" with his family.
The Duke of Cornwall is first in line to the throne, while the Duke of Cambridge is second in line.
Over the years, there have been calls for Charles to step aside and let his son take the crown after the Queen.
The poll received 3,522 votes with 61 percent (2,467) of people urged Charles to step aside and let William be King.
6.51pm update: Zara and Mike Tindall left red-faced after ad for Covid app triggered health concerns
Zara Tindall and her husband Mike backed a COVID-19 "passport" app which was later referred to advertising regulators over concerns about its alignment with health guidance.
Zara and Mike invested in a new app last May, which allows Covid test results to be uploaded to a phone so the public can demonstrate they are safe to attend large events.
The couple then featured in an ad to promote the app, VHealth Passport. Zara, a renowned equestrian, was shown having an antibody test, while former England Rugby star Mike said the app was a potential “game-changer” for encouraging the public back to sporting occasions during the same video.
5.53pm update: Prince Harry titles - 'Beggars belief' Duke stripped of roles while Prince Andrew keeps his
Prince Andrew been brutally ripped apart by a royal expert for being allowed to keep his royal titles while Prince Harry was left "devastated" to lose his.
The Duke of York stepped back from his public duties "for the foreseeable future" following an embarrassing BBC Newsnight interview about his links with paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
However, he still retained military honours including Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Navy’s Fleet Air Arm and Colonel-in-Chief of multiple British Army units.
This is a stark contrast to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, who both recently were stripped of their royal titles by the Queen after quitting as senior royals, including Harry’s role as captain general of the Royal Marines.
Meghan Markle married Prince Harry in May 2018
4.53pm update: Prince Harry 'haunted' by Megxit decision and desperately making 'excuses' for choices
Prince Harry has been accused of making excuses for his actions to step away from the Royal Family, a decision he is now haunted by, according to a commentator.
TalkRadio host Kevin O'Sullivan spoke with royal expert Russel Myers on Prince Harry's latest interview with James Corden and his overall wellbeing.
Mr Sullivan argued Prince Harry was now "haunted" by his decision to step away from his senior royal duties with Meghan Markle.
The commentator added the Duke was now making excuses to help justify his actions.
3.47pm update: Harry and Meghan could throw William and Kate under bus in 'icy' Oprah Winfrey interview
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are prepared to throw Prince William and Kate Middleton under the bus, according to a leading royal expert, ahead of the couple's sit-down interview with Oprah Winfrey.
Prince Harry could speak out against his own brother Prince William in the upcoming Oprah interview, according to well-renowned royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams.
The royal commentator told Us Weekly's Royally Us that Harry and Meghan will be "pretty icy about the Cambridges on Oprah".
He pointed to the book Finding Freedom as a blueprint to the highly-anticipated interview, claiming that "the Queen comes out very well in the book, the Prince of Wales comes out extremely well but the Cambridges don't".
James Bickerton takes over live reporting from Katie Harris
2.40pm update: Meghan and Harry remove Diana photo from Archewell website
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have removed a picture of Princess Diana as they updated their Archewell website.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex launched the website for their charitable foundation in December.
Diana was centre stage with a picture of a young Harry and his mother, taken in 1986, alongside the words: “I am my mother’s son.”
The website also featured a childhood snap of Meghan and her mother Doria Ragland.
But the couple, who have quit royal duties for a new life in California, have now overhauled the website and removed the photos of Diana and Doria.
They have been replaced with a picture of the Sussexes volunteering in California and the words "compassion in action".
Archewell's website previously featured a picture of a young Harry and his mother Diana
1.20pm update: Charles 'forced to reconsider' royal plans after Harry and Meghan move
Prince Charles's plan to overhaul the monarchy has been thrown into chaos following Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's official departure from the Royal Family this month.
In response, roles and responsibilities have been distributed to less known royal figures such as Sophie, Countess of Wessex.
Speaking on True Royalty TV's weekly The Royal Beat programme, Vanity Fair royal correspondent, Katie Nicholl said: "These are the substitutes that Prince Charles essentially wanted edited out.
"He wanted the Meghan and Harry, the William and Kate, him and Camilla, as this core six.
"With the departure of the Sussexes, and the removal of Andrew, they are three members down."
12pm update: Should Charles step aside and let William be King?
Prince Charles is first in line to the throne - but should the Prince of Wales step aside and let Prince William be King when the time comes?
Click here to vote in Express.co.uk's poll.
There have been calls over the years for Charles to step aside for his son William to be King
11.25am update: Queen hands trip of a lifetime to volunteers after saving centre close to monarch's heart
The Queen has handed a trip of a lifetime to a group of volunteers who helped to save a London stable for disabled riders from closing down.
Park Lane Stables in Teddington had been staring down the barrel of closure in May before a crowd-funding page was set up raised more than £1million.
The remarkable work has been recognised by the Queen who has invited the group to the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace.
10.40am update: Philip health update as Duke spends 13th day in hospital
Prince Philip is spending his 13th day in hospital in what is his longest-ever stay.
The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII's Hospital in London on February 16 as a precautionary measure on the advice of his doctor after feeling unwell.
Philip, who turns 100 in June, was initially due to spend a few days at the private hospital for "observation and rest" for an undisclosed reason, which is not coronavirus-related.
There has been no update from Buckingham Palace today, but on Tuesday Philip was said to be "comfortable" and "responding to treatment".
Prince Philip is spending his 13th day in hospital in what is his longest-ever stay
10.10am update: Andrew plots return to 'serve his country' despite Queen's brutal birthday rebuke
Prince Andrew is said to be plotting a return to royal life despite the Queen cutting the Duke from her 95th birthday celebrations later this year, a royal expert has claimed.
Royal correspondent Roya Nikkhah has revealed Andrew will also be culled from the Queen's annual Trooping the Colour spectacle later this summer in a clear warning the prince will not be welcomed back into the fold.
However, she added Andrew appears to be undeterred by the snub as he wants to return to the royal frontline to "serve his country".
9.45am update: Charles puts final nail in Megxit coffin
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have been forced to search for a new UK address for letters sent to them by well-wishers after Prince Charles cut ties in the wake of Megxit, according to reports.
The Prince of Wales has reportedly withdrawn his financial support for the mail service provided to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex by his team at Clarence House.
Meghan and Harry, who live in California, are now scrambling to put new arrangements in place for the end of next month.
The move comes after Megxit was confirmed to be permanent, the Telegraph reported.
Meghan and Harry will have "one long whinge" in their Oprah Winfrey interview, a royal expert has predicted
8.50am update: Meghan accused of 'exaggerating her problems' as Duchess 'pays price' of privilege
Royal historian and author Alison Weir told Express.co.uk: "When you read about her complaints about how she was treated, I'm sorry, I'm a royalty watcher, I am a royal historian of all periods.
"I have not seen any of what she has complained about in the media."
Ms Weir added: "She has married into a life of huge privilege - you have to give up something for that. How much higher could she have aspired?
"There's a price to be paid - that's the loss of your privacy and certain constraints are placed upon you that there's nothing you can do about it. But that's the way it is."
8.25am update: Meghan and Harry to have 'one long whinge' in Oprah interview
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will have "one long whinge" in their Oprah Winfrey interview, a royal expert has predicted.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's tell-all interview with the US chat show host airs next Sunday.
But royal biographer Hugo Vickers warned it is "all about their self-promotion".
Mr Vickers told the Mail on Sunday: "I imagine the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will just have one long whinge to Oprah Winfrey. It’s all about their self-promotion."
8am update: William joins grandmother to condemn ‘false info’ and declares ‘get your vaccine’
Prince William has warned people not to listen to social media "rumours and misinformation" about Covid jabs.
Speaking out during a video call, the Duke of Cambridge told clinically vulnerable people and their families that he and Kate “wholeheartedly support having vaccinations”.
Efforts were led by the Queen who, in a rare intervention during a call to health leaders last week, urged vaccine waverers to “think about other people rather than themselves”.
7.30am update: Anne ‘tremendous’ support to the Queen after three blows
Princess Anne is a "tremendous" support to the Queen after she has lost three senior members of the Firm, according to a royal expert.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams pointed out that the monarch is down three members of monarchy with Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and Prince Andrew ending duties.
Mr Fitzwilliams told Express.co.uk: "One has to remember the Royal Family hasn’t got many senior working royals at the moment.
"It has lost three for various reason. So she’s a terrific support."