Richard Madeley has said that he is gearing up to be the "new Piers Morgan" ahead of his appearance on Good Morning Britain.

Currently, the 65-year-old presenter is favourite to replace controversial host Piers following his explosive exit earlier this year.

He has appeared as a frequent guest host for a number or years but he is in line for getting a more permanent slot on the programme as he joins Susanna Reid at the helm.

Speaking ahead of his appearance on the show, Richard said that it was a "good show to do" and that it suits him and he suits it.

He told The Sun : "Whether I’m going to be asked to take over, I have no idea. I have had no approach at any level formally or informally.

Richard Madeley has said that he is gearing up to be the 'new Piers Morgan'
Richard Madeley has said that he is gearing up to be the 'new Piers Morgan'

“The phone hasn’t rung, I haven’t had a ping into my inbox."

Responding to being the bookies' frontrunner, he said that there is a "huge difference between that and it being a reality".

“I’ll go in, I’ll fill in, I’ll enjoy it and I hope they ask me back. But in terms of sitting in for Piers, it’s a completely open question," he continued.

But Richard admitted that he won't necessarily leap at the chance as he has "turned down a lot of stuff" in the past as it "sounds too much like hard work" and insisted that it has to be fun.

Piers Morgan quit GMB earlier this month
Piers Morgan quit GMB earlier this month

Giving his opinion on Alastair Campbell's debut last week, which received a mixed reaction from viewers, Richard said that he reckoned the ex-Labour spin doctor "did very well".

He added: "I think ITV are taking their time. It’s a big loss losing Piers."

Richard is favourite to take over from Piers on GMB
Richard is favourite to take over from Piers on GMB

Recalling hosting Tuesday's show following the interview on the Sunday - in which he famously rowed with co-star Alex Beresford and stormed off - he said that he was "tired and agitated".

In a column he wrote earlier this year, Piers remembers the situation having escalated.

He said: "Oh s**t. This must be more serious than I thought. Mid-afternoon, Kevin Lygo, ITV's Director of Television, who I'd spoken to several times since yesterday, rang to say we were now 'on the cliff edge' and either I apologised, or I would have to leave GMB.

"And even if I did apologise, that wouldn't be the end of it. The woke brigade would keep coming for me, demanding I apologise for everything else they find offensive – which of course, is absolutely everything."

*Good Morning Britain airs weekdays at 6am on ITV