A review has been ordered by the Home Secretary into the death of Ruth Williams who was killed by her husband.

Anthony Williams, 70, strangled his 70-year-old wife at their home in Cwmbran on March 28 last year.

He was sentenced to five years imprisonment following a trial at Swansea Crown Court this year where he was found not guilty of murder. The defendant had already pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

The trial judge said Williams' mental state was "severely affected" by depression and anxiety and there was no evidence of any previous domestic violence.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said, however, she was "not satisfied" with Torfaen Council's decision not to carry out a domestic homicide review (DHR) into the circumstances surrounding the death of Mrs Williams, according to safeguarding minister Victoria Atkins.

Anthony Williams, 70, told police he "literally choked the living daylights" out of his wife Ruth

Ms Atkins said: "This was an appalling case and our thoughts are with the family and friends of Ruth Williams. Having personally reviewed this case, the Home Secretary is not satisfied with the conclusions reached by Torfaen Council Public Service Board that there are no lessons to be learned from this tragic death.

"That is why she has written to the board to instruct it to establish a domestic homicide review."

Ms Patel has used her powers under section 9(3) of the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004 to order the review. A growing outcry has seen campaigners claim the sentence is too lenient.

You can now get all of the need-to-know news sent straight to your inbox by signing up for our free WalesOnline newsletter.

It takes just seconds to subscribe - simply click here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.

Labour MP Harriet Harman told the PA news agency that she had written to Ms Patel calling for a review and she was "glad she has agreed" to it. Ms Harman, who also wrote to the council at the end of February, added that the review "just needs to go ahead asap".

In her council letter, which was copied to the local authority's chair of the Public Service Board, Ms Harman wrote: "As you may know I initiated the system of Domestic Homicide Reviews, of which the first was held in 2001, so that lessons can be learned by the agencies and services.

"The question is not just whether the agencies and services who had been involved had done everything they could to prevent the homicide but also whether there were agencies who weren't involved who should have been. Given the level of public concern that there has been about this tragic homicide, I'd be grateful if you would reconsider your decision and decide instead to hold a review."