There have been reports of dogs being electrocuted in a Scots town in the aftermath of Storm Arwen.

One pooch reportedly had to be taken to the vets after being hurt on a specific stretch of pavement in Stonehaven.

The part of the path in question was outside Charles McHardy Butchers on Market Square in the Aberdeenshire town.

Stonehaven's Christmas light-switch had been due to take place but was cancelled following concerns over the electrical supply.

However, after power was restored, the Market Square event was set to continue before eventually having to be cancelled again.

This was because of concerns regarding the underground electrical grid and the area was evacuated as a precaution.

Police remain in attendance at the scene which has been cordoned off for safety.

The public have been urged to avoid the area due to potential injury and SSEN networks have been made aware of the issue.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "We are in attendance at Market Sq in Stonehaven following concerns raised about the electricity network in the area.

"The area has been evacuated as a precaution and nobody has been injured. SSEN Networks are aware.

"We ask to people to avoid the area at the current time."

Around 30,000 people in the area have had their electricity supply affected by the recent severe weather conditions.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here .