Princess Michael of Kent is being treated for blood clots after receiving two doses of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine – although no link has been established.
Sources close to the 76-year-old said concerns for her health emerged after she received her second jab earlier this year. The royal has been recovering at home for almost a month.
‘The Princess has been unwell and has sought medical attention,’ a source told the Sun on Sunday.
‘It has been a worrying time for those around her. It has been difficult for those close to her to see her suffering. She’s really been through it.’
The AstraZeneca vaccine has come under scrutiny in Europe after being linked to a very small number of blood clot cases.
A scientific review by UK medical regulator MHRA concluded in April that evidence of a link between the vaccine and rare blood clots ‘is stronger but more work is still needed’.
However, the latest Government advice says the chance of developing a blood clot from the jab is around 1 in 250,000, or four in a million.
The advice reads: ‘Vaccines are the best way to protect people from Covid-19 and have already saved thousands of lives.
‘Everyone should continue to get their vaccination when asked to do so unless specifically advised otherwise.’
The princess, who also goes by Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz, was diagnosed with covid in November last year, and was forced to self-isolate at her home in Kensington Palace, West London.
She is married to the Queen’s cousin, Prince Michael of Kent, 78. He was recently accused of using his royal status to sell access to Russian president Vladimir Putin.
A spokesperson for the princess refused to comment on matters of health issues.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]
For more stories like this, check our news page.