Great Britain

Queen made rare royal protocol breach during Meghan Markle and Prince Harry crisis

Meghan Markle and Harry: Expert on ‘only link’ to royal family

On this day last year, the Queen issued a rare personal statement to update the public on the crisis sparked by a bombshell announcement published by Meghan and Prince Harry on their now-defunct Instagram account Sussex Royal. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex expressed their intention to "step back" as full-time working royals on January 8 2020.

Just 10 days later, following an emergency summit taking place at Sandringham between Prince Harry, Prince Charles, Prince William and the monarch, the Queen and Buckingham Palace made clear which new positions would take on the Sussexes within the Royal Family.

While the palace's statement was a formal announcement detailing the terms of the so-called Megxit agreement, the Queen's message was in first person and free of many of the royal formalities usually found in official statements.

In her address, the monarch ditched royal titles and chose to call the Sussexes by their name in a rare move.

Moreover, she spoke candidly about the Duchess of Sussex and her efforts to fit in the Royal Family. 

queen news queen elizabeth ii statement meghan markle prince harry megxit royal news

The Queen called the Meghan Markle and Prince Harry by their names in a rare personal statement (Image: GETTY)

queen news queen elizabeth ii statement meghan markle prince harry megxit royal news

The Queen praised Meghan Markle in her statement (Image: GETTY)

The Queen said in her statement last year: "Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.

"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.

"I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life. 

READ MORE: Prince William's heartbreaking confession about becoming King

queen news queen elizabeth ii statement meghan markle prince harry megxit royal news

The Queen ruled Meghan Markle and Prince Harry can retain their patronages (Image: GETTY)

"I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family."

The Queen ended this deeply personal message expressing hopes for the future of Meghan and Harry.

She said: "It is my whole family's hope that today's agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life."

During what has become known as the Sandringham Summit in January last year, Prince Harry agreed on relinquishing his three military patronages. 

DON'T MISS 

queen news queen elizabeth ii statement meghan markle prince harry megxit royal news

The Queen took part in the Sandringham summit last January (Image: GETTY)

queen news queen elizabeth ii statement meghan markle prince harry megxit royal news

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced their intention to step back as senior royals in early 2020 (Image: GETTY)

Meghan and Harry have retained their full royal titles - but have been asked not to use their His/Her Royal Highness styles after the end of March 2020, when they officially started their lives as non-working royals.

In their first statement on Megxit, Meghan and Harry had mentioned their desire to continue to serve the Crown by carrying out royal tours and engagements while also pursuing financially profitable deals.

This position as part-time working royals was reportedly deemed impossible during the summit, and the Sussexes had to give up their rights to carry out royal visits.

However, they were allowed to retain their patronages, with which they have remained in touch throughout the coronavirus pandemic. 

queen news queen elizabeth ii statement meghan markle prince harry megxit royal news

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry officially stepped down as senior royals in late March (Image: EXPRESS)

From Megxit, Meghan and Harry gained the freedom to live abroad with their son while retaining Frogmore Cottage as their base in England.

This groundbreaking move also allowed the couple to pursue commercial deals.

Prince Harry spoke about the terms agreed with his family members hours after the deal was struck, confessing he did not get everything he was hoping for from the talks.

Speaking during an event organised in honour of his charity Sentebale, Harry said: “Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. 

queen news queen elizabeth ii statement meghan markle prince harry megxit royal news

The Queen with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry at the 2019 Trooping the Colour (Image: GETTY)

“Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible.

“I’ve accepted this, knowing that it doesn’t change who I am or how committed I am.

“But I hope that helps you understand what it had to come to, that I would step my family back from all I have ever known, to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life.”   

Football news:

Cavani has returned to training and is likely to play against Crystal Palace
Fabio Capello, Juventus played Rugby against the Port. Only Ronaldo and Chiesa can make a difference in this squad
Neymar: I posted how I was recovering from my injury, and I didn't get any messages saying, Wow, what a professional. No
Ole Gunnar Solscher: The work of the judges is very difficult and without additional pressure. We have to make their decisions
Joan Laporta: I'm sure Messi won't stay at Barca if I don't win the election. He gives the club 30% of revenue
Trent had idolized Gerrard since he was a kid, and he was in a fairy tale: he got Steven's care and the captain's armband. The story of a great relationship
Hazard's recovery from the injury is delayed. He probably won't play against Atletico on March 7