Prince Andrew will not resume his official duties after he stepped back from public life last year over his links with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, it has been reported.

The Duke of York withdrew from public life in November 2019 "for the foreseeable future" following a television interview about his friendship with Epstein.

But the royal family is now said to have "no plans to review" Prince Andrew's position - meaning he will not resume official duties - according to The Sunday Times.

Despite his stepping back, Prince Andrew retained his military commands, including his role as colonel of the Grenadier Guards.

However, his indefinite removal from public life may now add to pressure on the prince to give up his military commands and allow other members of the royal family to take over the roles.

The royal family 'has no plans' to review Prince Andrew's position

The Queen's son is now in a legal dispute alongside his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson over a £6m debt for their £18m ski chalet in Verbier, Switzerland.

Buckingham Palace told Mirror Online they would not comment on the story.

Prince Andrew has sparked controversy over his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein

Andrew made the decision to speak on the record about his friendship with Epstein and to deny allegations made by a woman that she was forced into a sexual encounter with the duke.

Virginia Giuffre, formerly known as Virginia Roberts, claims she was made to have sex with Andrew when she was 17 - an allegation he denies.

Ms Giuffre - who named Andrew in previous court papers that were were struck out by a judge - is one of 16 women saying they were abused by Epstein.

Prince Andrew's accuser Virginia Giuffre named him in court papers
Prince Andrew was interviewed by BBC Newsnight's Emily Maitlis

In the BBC Newsnight interview by presenter Emily Maitlis, Andrew said that with "hindsight" his decision to stay at Epstein's house was "definitely the wrong thing to do", and that his judgement was "probably coloured" at the time.

He added he would step back from official duties, admitting that "the circumstances relating to my former association with Jeffrey Epstein has become a major disruption to my family’s work."

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

In a statement, the duke said: "I continue to unequivocally regret my ill-judged association with Jeffrey Epstein.

"His suicide has left many unanswered questions, particularly for his victims, and I deeply sympathise with everyone who has been affected and wants some form of closure.

"I can only hope that, in time, they will be able to rebuild their lives."