Prince Andrew: Expert on High Court’s acceptance of request
In the images, a large white envelope addressed to Prince Andrew is shown being put into a Royal Mail postbox on September 9. The Duke of York has consistently denied all allegations of sexual abuse against him.
The alleged legal notice to Andrew was posted by an employee from the London office of Boies Schiller Flexner (BSF).
It is claimed to have been one of five attempts to reach Andrew about the case against him.
In the images released by Ms Guiffre’s lawyers, the letter is addressed to Andrew at his 30-room mansion at Royal Lodge on the private Windsor Great Park.
The photos were released as evidence in US court filings.
Prince Andrew news: Images show the Duke has been sent legal notices over Guiffre’s case
Prince Andrew news: Boies Schiller Flexner released images of mail sent to the Duke
According to The Sun, the images were released while Andrew and his lawyers allegedly attempted to delay the case.
Under the Hague Service Convention, which governs requests between countries for evidence in civil or commercial matters, Ms Giuffre's legal team can ask the High Court in London to formally notify Andrew about her civil action.
Andrew B Brettler, the Duke's attorney, said the royal's team contested the validity of service to date, adding he has not been properly served under either UK or international law.
The High Court said in a statement: "Lawyers for Prince Andrew have indicated that they may seek to challenge the decision of the High Court to recognise the validity of the Hague Convention request for service made by Ms Giuffre's lawyers.
"The High Court has directed that any challenge must be made by close of business on September 24."
READ MORE: Prince Andrew hit with 'sudden stark reality' amid High Court decision
Prince Andrew news: Guiffre’s lawyers claim they have tried to contact the Duke 5 times
Prince Andrew news: The Duke is contesting a High Court ruling he must respond to US lawyers
Ms Giuffre's lawyers have said the service of the papers “is not intended to be a game of hide and seek behind palace walls”.
David Boies, representing Ms Giuffre, claimed on Monday papers had been “delivered to the last known address of the defendant” and documents had also been sent “by Royal Mail”.
The issue of whether Andrew had been notified about the case was contested during the first pre-trial hearing of the civil case on Monday in New York.DON'T MISS
Prince Andrew news: Virginia Guiffre claims the Duke sexually abused her at 17 years old
Ms Giuffre, formerly known as Virginia Roberts, is suing Andrew for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager.
She claims she was trafficked by convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein to have sex with the Duke when she was aged 17, a minor under US law.
The plaintiff is seeking unspecified damages, with speculation the sum could reach millions.
Andrew has vehemently denied all allegations from Ms Giuffre.
Prince Andrew news: The Duke of York has denied all allegations against him
Andrew's side has also argued Mr Boies is not a “judicial, consular or diplomatic officer” of the US.
The London court originally agreed with the Duke before changing its decision following representations by BSF, who cited US law.
Gary Bloxsome, acting for Andrew, wrote to Senior Master Barbara Fontaine within hours on Wednesday, saying: 'We contend that your original decision of 14 September 2021 to reject BSF's direct request was correct, and your subsequent decision of 15 September 2021 is wrong.
“We ask that the original decision be restored, and the reasons communicated promptly to BSF.”
The judge said she would not “determine this disputed issue by email” and ordered Andrew to file a proper legal application, which could result in an appeal being heard in court.