Preston North End forward Jayden Stockley has tested positive for coronavirus, the club has confirmed.

The 26-year-old, who is asymptomatic and feeling no ill effects, will now self-isolate at home and, in line with medical protocols, return to training with his team-mates after his isolation. His positive result came in the third round of testing.

He has released the statement below as a message to fans through the club website.

He said: “It came as a complete shock. I got a call from the Doc when I came back from training; I felt brilliant in training, put a good session in and his number came up. We were aware we would get a call if our test was positive and I was thinking ‘no, surely not’, but he told me and it was a surreal moment real. You feel like you are untouchable and you are going to ride through it.

“You can send yourself a bit crazy thinking ‘where did I catch it’, because we are from down south we have not been down there, we have stayed in our house up here and not mixed with anyone; the supermarket has been pretty much the only place we have been, other than our walks in the country, but we haven’t come into contact with anyone. You could think, ‘when and why?’, but the best thing is to be as sensible as possible now and listen to all the advice on what to do.

“It is frustrating, because I feel really good. The last week [at training] has been really tough and it is a shame to completely stop that, but you have to accept you have to do what is right for all the other boys and their families, so in the grand scheme of things, it will only be a week or two I am isolating for and I owe it to the club and the boys to do it properly and listen to the advice.”

A club statement said: "The club have conducted 143 tests on players and staff at the Springfields training ground in the last ten days, with only Jayden returning a positive test, with a further round of testing due to take place on Monday ahead of training."