An 18-month-old girl was left screaming in agony after being scalded by a pot of piping hot KFC gravy.

Ella Pau from Liverpool, suffered horrific burns to her face, fingers, arm and legs after the sauce spilled onto her skin.

Her mum Jade, 23, told the Liverpool Echo: "My friend came to stay over for a couple of nights, and she went and picked [the food] up.

"She went through the drive thru and she drove to my house in Norris Green.

"At that point you'd think it would have cooled down a lot more than it usually would."

When her friend Katie arrived back with the food and went to get some plates from the kitchen, Jade said her twins Jacob and Anthony, aged three, went into the bag and grabbed a few chips out of the bargain bucket.

Mum Jade picked her up and put her straight in the shower to wash the gravy off her skin
Mum Jade picked her up and put her straight in the shower to wash the gravy off her skin

Jade said: "[Ella] put her hand into the bag and when she pulled her hand out she actually had hold of the gravy, the rest of the lid flipped back at her as she picked it up and gravy flicked onto her face.

"And before I knew it, it was all down her. It was all over her arms, mainly her right arm, and because she was on the couch it pooled between her legs."

Ella was screaming in agony as Jade picked her up and put her straight in the shower to wash the gravy off her skin.

"I picked her up and straight away steam was coming off her skin, so I just grabbed hold of her and took her straight into the shower.

"The worst thing about it was as the water was going onto her skin the colour of the gravy was disappearing, but the oil was still sticking to her skin.

"When I was taking her shorts off, I could see her legs and the skin had started to bubble. Her legs were the worst at that point because they were the last to get water."

The skin on her legs had started to bubble
The skin on her legs had started to bubble

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

When Jade arrived at A&E with Ella on June 1, she was taken straight to the burns unit for a cold bath to bathe her wounds and she spent the night in hospital.

But things went from bad to worse after Ella was discharged from hospital the following day and she went into toxic shock.

Jade said: "She came home and she was fine, she was made up to be home and then around 12pm I noticed she was breathing funny.

"I felt her head and she was roasting hot her back was full of sweat. I checked her temperature and it was 39.8.

“She started waking up and she was struggling to breathe so I picked her up, and as soon as I picked her up, she started vomiting."

Jade took Ella back to the hospital where she was hooked up to an antibiotic IV drip and doctors said she was displaying the signs of toxic shock.

She spent a further five days in hospital after suffering from a toxic shock
She spent a further five days in hospital after suffering from a toxic shock

Ella spent the following five days in hospital before she was allowed to come home on June 7.

Since then, Jade said she has paid a visit to the restaurant and has contacted KFC in a bid to raise awareness of what happened and stop the same thing from happening to anyone else.

Jade added: "I'd like them to assess the temperature that they've got the gravy at and anything they can do to stop the gravy from opening so easily."

Jade said Ella has been left with scarring on her legs from the burns and she has to apply cream three times a day.

The 23-year-old said: "She's scarred for life now. To think that she's got to live with that now and it's all because of gravy that came from a restaurant, it seems a bit silly - it doesn't need to happen."

A KFC spokesperson said: “Safety is our top priority for our guests, so we’re really sorry to hear about this and we’re in touch with Jade and Ella to fully understand how this happened and help make it right.”