Pep Guardiola, Txiki Begiristain and other key figures at Manchester City celebrated together on Monday morning as the news was announced that they will be able to compete in the Champions League.

The club had remained confident that an independent hearing would clear them even when it was dropped on them back in February that they had been expelled from UEFA competitions for two years, and Guardiola reiterated the faith in press conferences right up to the verdict.

City have been slapped with a €10m fine for their lack of co-operation towards the original investigation, but the more important news is that their ban from the Champions League has been lifted and they will be able to compete next season having already secured a top-four finish.

A photo was shared (and quickly deleted) of Guardiola and other key figures at the club revealing their delight with the television in the background at the news.

Man City UEFA ban overturned

A club statement was issued immediately on Monday morning and the manager has said he will give his opinion on the decision in his press conference on Tuesday afternoon ahead of City's game with Bournemouth.

"It was an issue from a long time ago," Guardiola said on Saturday.

"Maybe 90 per cent of the people are on the pitch or the backroom staff were not there. But we are going to see. Respect the decisions. I try to be involved in knowing exactly what happened and I am fully confident about what the club has done and allowed us to play in the Champions League next season because we won in on the pitch during the season."