A pensioner died after his next door neighbour barged into his flat and knocked him to the floor as he complained about noise on Christmas Day.

Graham Liddle, 79, broke his hip after he was knocked onto the floor by 66-year-old Richard Fisher at his home in Sale.

The pair both lived alone in supported living accommodation, and Fisher became convinced that Mr Liddle was 'running his taps at all hours'.

READ MORE : 'Cowardly' gang lure taxi driver to town before robbing him in brutal attack

Fisher forced his way into Mr Liddle's flat, knocking him over as he swung the door open.

After he fell, Fisher then kicked him as he lay on the floor.

Manchester's courts are some of the busiest in the country with a vast array of cases heard every week.

To keep up to date with how justice is being served across Greater Manchester subscribe to our free weekly M.E.N. Court News newsletter put together by our court reporters Andrew Bardsley and Amy Walker.

How do I sign up?

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you're there, put your email address where it says at the top, then tick the MEN Court News box. There are other newsletters available if you want them as well.
  3. When you've made your choice, hit Save Changes button at the bottom.

Mr Liddle was taken to hospital after fracturing his hip.

He contracted a chest infection during his stay and died three days later, on December 28, 2018.

Fisher, who was initially charged with manslaughter, was deemed unfit to stand trial due to his mental health problems, having suffered from schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder.

A jury found he had assaulted Mr Liddle, causing his death by pushing him over.

Fisher, now 69, of Egerton Drive, Sale, was sentenced to a two-year supervision order following a hearing at Manchester Crown Court.

Judge Alan Conrad QC said Mr Liddle was a 'decent and harmless man who had done Mr Fisher no wrong'.

Dr Fareed Bashir, a consultant forensic psychologist, agreed a supervision order was the 'proper way forward' in the case.

Fisher moved into the flat at New Hey Court in 2012, while Mr Liddle had lived there since 2016.

Manchester Crown Court
Manchester Crown Court

They were direct neighbours but had little social interaction.

Their flats shared a wall between their bedrooms and bathrooms, and Fisher was irritated and accused Mr Liddle of leaving his taps on.

The court heard a flat below had a faulty tap which was constantly running.

The row came to a head on Christmas Day in 2018, as Fisher knocked on Mr Liddle's door at 5am to complain about noise.

He denied having his taps on, and Fisher called the managing agents and the police.

Mr Liddle spent much of Christmas Day with friends, before returning home later.

We have a dedicated Facebook group covering court cases across Greater Manchester.

For all the latest trial coverage and sentencing join the group here.

To download our app to get all the latest news visit here.

Fisher had asked a friend whether he would have a word with Mr Liddle.

At about 9pm they arrived and after knocking on the door, Fisher barged in and swung the door open, knocking Mr Liddle to the floor.

He kicked him then left him lying on the floor.

Mr Liddle was able to use a pendant alarm to alert the authorities.

He was taken to hospital and underwent surgery on his broken hip.

But he died on December 28 after contracting a chest infection.

Dr Bashir told the court that Fisher is regularly assessed and supervised by carers.

Judge Conrad said: "In this case, following the jury's findings, I impose a supervision order for two years."