Kilmarnock came out on top against Partick Thistle as they put the Glasgow side to the sword in a Championship cracker.

Both sides went into the match full of confidence, but it was the Ayrshire side who bagged their fifth win of the season as they made up two points on top of the table Inverness who drew 0-0 at Dunfermline.

A Kevin Holt own goal followed by an Oli Shaw wonder strike was enough to send Tommy Wright’s men back down the M77 with all three points.

The hosts got off to a flying start in the first minute as captain Ross Docherty fired a low shot towards goal, but Zach Hemming was on his toes to get down and tip it round the post.

Oli Shaw celebrates making it 2-0
Oli Shaw celebrates making it 2-0

Thistle were denied a penalty in the seventh minute as Zak Rudden went down, but it was waved away as play continued.

Scott Robinson thought he was through on goal three minutes later as he tried to get a shot away, but a last-ditch tackle denied him.

Killie had a wonderful chance to take the lead just before the half hour mark, but Shaw’s effort was well saved by Jamie Sneddon.

The visitors almost bagged a fortunate opener five minutes before half time when Jason Naismith fizzed in a cross, it deflected narrowly over the crossbar for a corner.

The Ayrshire Live app is available to download now.

Get all the local news in your area – plus features, football news and the latest on the coronavirus crisis – at your fingertips 24/7.

The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories while you can customise your page with the sections that matter to you.

The Ayrshire Live app is available to download now on iOS and Android.

From the resulting set-piece a goalmouth scramble somehow stayed out of the net and went over for a goal kick.

Shaw had a perfect chance to open his Killie account, but his penalty was well saved by Sneddon.

But straight after the miss the visitors took the lead in the 52nd minute when a Fraser Murray cross hit off Holt and trundled into his own net.

In the 65th minute it was two for Killie as Shaw got his goal with a stunning strike from 25 yards after taking it down on his chest.

Don't miss the latest Ayrshire headlines –sign up to our free daily newsletter here