A Paisley family says health chiefs must do better after their beloved mum died following an eight-hour wait for an ambulance.

Rebecca Stevenson’s GP called for an ambulance for the 85 year old who had suspected pneumonia at 4.30pm, telling the family it may take around and hour to arrive.

But paramedics did not get to her Gallowhill home until 11.30pm that night.

At 3.15am she died of pneumonia and sepsis at the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

Now three months after their mother’s passing, the Stevenson family is watching on in horror as they see more families devastated by a crippled ambulance and hospital service.

On Friday night members of the British Army began driving ambulances and answering medical emergencies with the paramedics across Renfrewshire.

They were called in by the Scottish Government who was last week forced to apologise to a number of people who did not receive the treatment they should expect nor deserve.

For Rebecca’s children - Yvonne Booth, Heather Carnwath. Estelle Stevenson and Billy Stevenson - and others, their arrival is weeks too late.

Rebecca’s daughter Heather told the Express she had called the GP to see her mum on June 15 after the otherwise fit and healthy great granny said she was feeling a bit unwell.

She said: “He thought she had an infection and possibly pneumonia as he could hear a rattle in her lungs.

“Normally he would prescribe antibiotics but because she was a bit breathless, he felt she needed oxygen.

“He called an ambulance for them to be there within the hour.”

But by 7pm the paramedics had not arrived and Heather received a “comfort call” from call handlers to explain the service was very short staffed.

Heather called again at around 10pm as her mum was starting to complain about upper body pain, with help finally arriving 70 minutes later.

“We thought she was going in to hospital for some oxygen and would be coming back again but by 3.15am she had passed away.

“Would things have turned out differently if she had gotten there sooner? Maybe they wouldn’t have but it is a what if we will have to live with for the rest of our lives.

“We did meet with the doctor after and asked that question. He said you can’t live on what if but admitted it was possible.”

Rebecca’s children are still struggling to come to terms with her shocking death and how quickly she deteriorated.

The doting grandmother was incredibly independent after the sudden death of her husband, Billy, four years ago.

She continued to cook, loved to garden and to play with her two great grandchildren.

Yvonne said: “Mum has passed away now and that’s really difficult for us but our concern now is for other people.

“We don’t want other people to go through the same thing.

“The excessive waiting times are dangerous and the ambulance service is under staffed and under funded.

“The firefighters and army should have been brought in sooner to help or they should have kept the Louisa Jordan open and put the covid patients there.

“For the ambulance service, we know they are under pressure and we don’t want to slight them or the paramedics, it’s the Scottish Government that is responsible for how it is resourced and run.”

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said it had conducted a full investigation into Rebecca’s wait for an ambulance, explaining the outcome of this had been shared with the Stevenson family.

She said: “We’d like to express our deepest sympathies to the family for their loss. We understand this must continue to be a very painful and upsetting experience for them.”

Download the FREE Renfrewshire Live app now for all the latest news, features and sport in your area. Available on both Android and Apple. Download here:smarturl.it/RenfrewLiveSocial