Oscar De La Hoya has issued a challenge to Floyd Mayweather as he begins fresh plans to make a return to the ring.

The former six-weight world champion was set to make his first ring appearance since 2008 when he was confirmed to face Vitor Belfort.

But the American was hospitalised with coronavirus which led to his withdrawal, leading to legendary heavyweight Evander Holyfield replacing him.

Now he is plotting another ring exploit and has admitted that a second duel with Mayweather on his return would be the "biggest" fight to make.

De La Hoya told TMZ Sports : "Personally, right now I'm not motivated because of Covid. I was actually in great shape and then Covid hit me, so my morale right now is a little low in terms of me fighting in the ring personally.

Floyd Mayweather defeated Oscar De La Hoya back in 2007

"But come January, I'm sure I will get right back into it and start training again and prepare myself mentally first. But I do want to get out there again, possibly Cinco De Mayo (May 5).

"Who knows, it could be Floyd Mayweather. It's probably the biggest fight you could make today."

Mayweather and De La Hoya touched gloves back in 2007 in a famous battle that was branded "The World Awaits".

The fight was a welterweight super-fight in which Mayweather prevailed on the judges scorecards by a narrow split decision.

At the time the bout was billed as the most lucrative in boxing history, earning a total estimated revenue of $130 million.

This provided a huge springboard for Mayweather to progress in his career earning the WBC super-welterweight title and moving on to continue his undefeated record.

De La Hoya previously called out Mayweather in the immediate aftermath of his coronavirus hospitalisation making an astonishing offer valued at $100 million.

“Guess what. You know who I’m going to call out for my next fight? Floyd Mayweather. I’ll offer Floyd Mayweather $100 million,” De La Hoya previously stated.

I am still planning to fight before the end of the year, I would have knocked out Vitor Belfort in thirty seconds, but now Mayweather $100 million let’s go!”

De La Hoya's return is now set to be next year as he continues to regroup after suffering damaging short-term effects to his health with Covid-19.

Mayweather could be tempted by another lucrative offer after facing YouTube star Logan Paul in his latest boxing exploit in June.

Although it was previously claimed at a WBC convention that Mayweather had agreed to fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in an exhibition bout.

But the American moved quickly to deny them offers instead labelling the Mexican a "legend" of the sport.

Mayweather told DAZN : "Yesterday when we were on stage I told him he's a legend, guys like Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Larry Holmes paved the way, they paved the way for me to get to where I am.

"However he was insisting that he wanted to do the exhibition and I told him I could only use one hand. But it was all trash talk. I really wouldn't do it, as it would damage his legacy as well as mine. I owe him. He's older than me, but Chavez is a legend."

Read More

Read More