An obese man weighing 55 stone who took up four NHS beds costing the taxpayers thousands despite being medically fit to be discharged has finally left hospital.

Matthew Crawford became notorious after taking up the four-bed bay at The King’s Mill Hospital in Sutton-in-Ashfield last October.

He also required equipment to help him move and is he is reported to have cost taxpayers up to £250,000 over six months.

The obese man was even reported to have ordered pizza and takeaways to the ward, but he insists this is not true.

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Trust now confirmed he has left the hospital for a more “appropriate setting”.

Crawford, 34, himself confirmed he had left hospital on his Facebook page on Tuesday.

Matthew Crawford has been moved to a more 'appropriate setting'

NHS taxpayers had been funding his £7,000 a week reinforced bed – with Crawford being accused of “bed blocking”.

Staff had previously reportedly moaned they are “sick to the back teeth” as there is “nothing medically wrong” with him.

The Mirror previously reported a move to another unit had fallen through after he was convicted of attacking nurses.

Crawford reportedly could not attend his court hearing where he was convicted of common assault as there were no ambulances big enough.

Matthew Crawford was convicted for attacking nurses

Previously, a source said: "He is taking up much-needed bed space that is supposed to be for ill patients. The situation is madness.

"The NHS always gets slated for not having enough beds and he’s taking up four. It’s so frustrating.”

His mum Linda Belshaw last year denied claims Crawford orders takeaways to the hospital.

She also denied claims he was bed blocking – saying “he is waiting to move”.

Crawford has been on a ward at King’s Mill Hospital since May 2018.

Matthew Crawford took up four beds

A spokesperson for Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Trust said: “While we are not able to comment on the care of individual patients for reasons of confidentiality, we can confirm that Mr Crawford is no longer in the care of Sherwood Forest Hospitals.

“We are pleased for all concerned that he is now in a more appropriate setting.”

Crawford hit back at his critics and responded to claims he was using his benefits to order takeaways from his bed when the initial story was reported by Lincolnshire Live.

Matthew Crawford has been discharged

He wrote: “If you all knew the truth you would think different. I've not had a takeaway for months and even before that, I would have one every couple of weeks.

“The only food my mum brings in for me is some haslet and pickle cobs which I have instead of a hospital dinner.

Read More

Today's Top Stories

“I was originally admitted I was seriously ill with sepsis and I took a lot of persuading for them to take me to hospital.

“Social services didn't do anything to help find me a placement for nearly three months until the hospitals legal team got involved.”