Tib Street in the Northern Quarter was closed by police tonight after high winds blew wooden boarding off a derelict building onto parked cars.

There have been no reports of any injuries.

The emergency response came as Storm Arwen lashed Greater Manchester with high winds and driving rain.

READ MORE: Storm Arwen: LIVE updates as snow and strong winds set to hit UK and Greater Manchester

Police and firefighters were called at 8.45pm on Friday night.

It's understood council inspectors are at the scene to assess the safety of the building concerned.

Firefighters at the scene

A specialist fire service unit also attended the scene and the road was closed as a precaution by Greater Manchester Police.

The fire service said a cordon remained in place.

Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

A spokeperson said firefighters were 'working to make the scene safe'.

In a statement, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: "At approximately 8.45pm on Friday, 26 November, firefighters were called to Tib Street, in Manchester, after wooden boards fell from a derelict building onto two vehicles.

"Fire engines from Manchester Central and Philips Park stations, alongside the Technical Response Unit in Leigh, quickly attended the scene.

"A cordon has been put in place as a precaution and firefighters, alongside colleagues from GMP and Manchester City Council, are working to make the scene safe.

"Fire crews remain in attendance scene at this time."

No further details have been revealed.

The storm has brought chaos to large parts of the country.

In the north west, Cumbria Police urged the public to consider whether travel was necessary and reported conditions as 'hazardous'.

Trees and electricity poles were blown down - with power outages also reported.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service reported firefighters attending a 'large number of incidents' and in Manchester, trains were delayed after overhead electric wires were damaged between Wilmslow and Heald Green.

The winds brought a tree down on Lapwing Lane in Didsbury and a stretch of Blackpool Promenade was closed due to a 'collpased building'.

A weather warning remains in force in Greater Manchester.

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what's on and more by following this link