Plans by health authorities, including Cardiff and Vale, to offer last-minute vaccines to any adult over 18 when one becomes available will not be adopted in the Aneurin Bevan health board area.
The health board, which covers Newport, Caerphilly, Torfaen, Monmouthshire and Blaenau Gwent, confirmed it would not follow the example of nearby authorities by inviting everyone over 18 to join a vaccine reserve list.
Reserve lists, adopted by five other health board areas in Wales, would allow young people to receive a vaccine at short notice due to things like last minute cancelations or those in higher priority groups not showing up for their jab.
Early vaccines are currently available to those living in the Cardiff and Vale or Swansea Bay health board areas, as well as Powys and Cwm Taf.
Last week, a spokesperson for Swansea Bay health board said the list was “extremely popular,” with over 10,000 people registering to join.
In Cardiff, people will be called for a vaccine appointment in chronological order.
The Aneurin Bevan health board is currently rolling out its vaccination of those aged 40 to 49, 49% of whom had received their first dose by the week ending April 12.
Sign up to the NewportOnline newsletter to receive our top stories straight to your inbox.
It takes just seconds to sign up - simply click here, enter your email address and tick the box for 'Newport's Top Stories'. You can also subscribe to tailored content for rugby, politics, Swansea, Cardiff City FC, Swansea City FC and more.
Changed your mind? There's an 'unsubscribe' button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
A spokesman said that, while last minute appointments would be offered to those who were eligible, there were no plans for a reserve list.
He said: "“We are vaccinating our population in line with JCVI guidance. We are inviting those eligible to receive the vaccine via letter or via the GP practice they are registered with."
“We do not currently operate a reserve list, but we can assure the public that our booking process is currently working well, it is reviewed weekly, and we do not feel a need to change our process at this time.”
He also said that anyone in an eligible age group who has not been called for a vaccine could fill in an online form to request one.
According to data from the week ending April 12; 400,473 jabs had been administered in the Aneurin Bevan area, including 101, 710 second doses.
So far, 96% of people over 75 have been vaccinated, as have 86% of 50- to 54-year-olds.