Presenter Jim White has claimed a takeover deal for Newcastle United could be completed within '48 to 72 hours'.
Elsewhere, Mike Ashley is understood to be mulling over his options, while talkSPORT pundit Simon Jordan has given his view on the latest reports.
Here are the top Newcastle United stories for January 28:
Presenter on deal being close
A deal to buy Newcastle United could be complete within '48 to 72 hours' - according to talkSPORT presenter Jim White.
The broadcaster told listeners on Tuesday morning that he had been told Mike Ashley could agree to sell the club to Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman of Saudi Arabia.
The heir to the throne of the Saudi Royal Family representatives are said to have been in talks to buy United for many months - with a price tag of £340million being touted.
Amanda Staveley, who came close to buying the club in 2018, is involved but as of yet no deal has been agreed, and United fans remain sceptical of a sale.
But White, who also works for Sky Sports News, is under the impression the deal is on the verge of completion.
Ashley mulling over options
Mike Ashley is still believed to be mulling over his options after an approach from the Middle East as takeover talk dominated the agenda on Tyneside.
Ashley is still to come to an agreement on the sale of the club as fans wait to see how the latest takeover story develops.
United or the Ashley camp have not denied that the talks with a powerful Saudi investment group have taken place.
But it’s understood that they aren’t the only consortium who have held talks with Ashley and his close aide Justin Barnes in recent times, with at least one unnamed party getting around the table with the Toon owner.
Former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan is 'dubious' of the latest Newcastle United takeover reports.
A price tag of £340million has been reported in a proposed deal between Mike Ashley and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman of Saudi Arabia.
The Wall Street Journal broke the story on Saturday, and various reports have indicated talks over the sale of the Magpies are at an advanced stage.
Speaking on talkSPORT on Tuesday, Jordan cast doubt over the validity of a deal which is being played out in the public domain.
Citing the recent takeover of Premier League rivals Aston Villa, the talkSPORT pundit believes sales of football clubs typically only reach the media one they have been concluded.
The former Palace owner also questioned the timing of the news, indicating any new owners would not be able to splash the cash in the transfer market until the summer.
Could PL block a deal?
The Premier League could scupper the proposed Saudi-Arabian backed takeover of Newcastle United.
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is trying to buy the club for £340million and Mike Ashley is due back in the UK to mull over what has been described as a 'serious approach'.
The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund, alongside billionaire British brothers David and Simon Reuben, are part of a consortium in talks with the Newcastle owner over a takeover deal which is being brokered by Amanda Staveley.
But the Premier League could put paid to those plans, according to the Mail Online, amid allegations of their government facilitating the commercial theft of their overseas television rights.
Staveley on sovereign wealth funds
Amanda Staveley has previously gone on the record to speak about sovereign wealth funds being 'full of incredibly exciting people' - and believed there was a 'big opportunity' to invest in the UK because 'our dollar buys a lot more'.
More than two years after her previous attempt to buy Newcastle United, the PCP Capital Partners co-founder is back in the headlines as she attempts to broker a takeover with the help of the Reuben Brothers and the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Staveley gave a talk at the Milken Institute Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Summit in Abu Dhabi last year and among those who also spoke at the event was Yasir Othman Al-Rumayyan, the governor of the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (PIF)
Lazaro on his future
Valentino Lazaro hopes becoming the first Austrian to play for Newcastle United will be a 'great start' to potentially 'a great and long story' at the club after initially joining the Magpies on loan.
The Inter Milan winter attracted interest from a number of clubs in the Premier League, Serie A and Bundesliga but opted to join the Magpies last week.
Lazaro's agent, Max Magmayr, attended Newcastle's 1-0 win against Chelsea at St James' Park earlier this month before meeting with officials from RB Leipzig and Bologna.
ChronicleLive revealed the player was set on joining the black-and-whites because he got a 'very good feeling' following talks with Steve Bruce and Newcastle have the option of making the loan move permanent.
While Lazaro's agent suggested returning to Inter was the player's first-choice in the summer, Lazaro is not ruling anything out just yet.
Sherwood on Bentaleb
"Where are we looking?" "What type of player is he? "Why are we interested in this one?" were just some of the questions Mike Ashley asked when he sat down with Steve Bruce earlier this month to discuss Newcastle United's plans for the January transfer window.
The Magpies started planning for the mid-season window in the autumn and, in a difficult market, Bruce has kept an eye on players who have fallen out of favour.
It is a tactic that has served the Newcastle head coach well over the years, whether it was signing Christophe Dugarry for Birmingham City in 2003 or convincing Robert Snodgrass to drop down to the Championship and play for Aston Villa in 2017.
In his wish to sign an energetic midfielder with Premier League experience, who could hit the ground running, the 59-year-old closely monitored Nabil Bentaleb's situation.
The Algeria international played for Schalke in the last 16 of the Champions League last season but soon found himself banished to the reserves because of disciplinary issues.
Unsurprisingly, Bruce did a few background checks on Bentaleb - phoning both Tim Sherwood and Les Ferdinand, who coached the midfielder at Spurs - and received glowing reports.
Lascelles' verdict on Oxford draw
Jamaal Lascelles has told his Newcastle United team-mates that their standards dropped against League One Oxford in the FA Cup.
United should be looking forward to the fifth round of the competition, but instead must negotiate a replay at the Kassam Stadium.
Newcastle created 15 goal attempts against the U's but lacked sharpness and then had to rely on Karl Darlow to save them from a cup shock.
FA Cup odds
Newcastle United now know what they must do to reach the quarter-finals of the FA Cup
The Magpies must first get past a tricky replay at Oxford United next week, with the winners travelling to Championship promotion-chasers West Bromwich Albion in round five.
But what has Monday night's draw done for the betting odds?
It's perhaps no surprise to see Premier League champions Manchester City leading the way, with Liverpool facing a replay against Shrewsbury.