A couple who claim they saw Dominic Cummings on a second trip to Durham during lockdown have complained to a police watchdog about the officers investigating their report.

Boris Johnson’s chief aide previously admitted driving 260 miles to Durham with his wife and son on March 27, despite the strict coronavirus restrictions in place at the time. He then denied that he had made a second trip to the area on April 19 after a anonymous witness claimed to have seen him in Houghall Woods that morning.

Now new witnesses Dave and Clare Edwards have gone public with claims they also saw him in the same woodland on the morning of April 19. The couple said told The Mirror they are ‘100% certain’ it was Mr Cummings, and reported their alleged sighting to Durham Police in May.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Durham Constabulary stated that they had insufficient evidence to support the allegations. The couple then decided to put in a Subject Access Request to find out the force had handled their report.

Advertisement

Visit our live blog for the latest updates: Coronavirus news live

They received the details last week, but felt that the information showed their claims had not been taken seriously, causing them to file an official complaint with the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) on Wednesday.

In the complaint, the couple say it was ‘inconceivable’ that the matter was not ‘followed up thoroughly’ due to the ‘high profile nature’ of the case.

They continue: ‘We have no personal issue with Mr Cummings or his family, but we do feel that Durham Police’s handling of our complaint is below the standard we would expect from our local constabulary.

‘We ask that the IOPC investigate whether Durham Police acted thoroughly in their investigation of this matter.’

During a press conference over the Durham allegations, Mr Cummings told reporters he and his wife had become ill, causing them to travel across the country to receive child support from his parents.

His actions were supported by the Prime Minister, who argued that he had acted ‘responsibly, legally and with integrity’ and followed ‘instincts’ that every parent could understand.

The chief aide then denied he had returned to Durham on April 19 and said he had phone metadata which would prove he was in London at the time.

A No 10 spokesman said today: ‘Durham Constabulary have made clear they are not taking any further action against Mr Cummings and that by locating himself at his father’s premises he did not breach the regulations.

‘The Prime Minister has said he believes Mr Cummings behaved reasonably and he considers the matter closed.’

A Durham Constabulary spokesman said: ‘As outlined in our statement of May 28, Durham Constabulary carried out an investigation into this matter led by a senior detective and found insufficient evidence to support the allegation.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.