Newcastle United tonight declined to comment on fresh reports that a Middle East takeover had moved a step closer.
The Magpies are aware of the story in the Daily Telegraph which suggests that the Premier League have been informed of an attempt from the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund.
The article states that the Premier League were informed "several days ago" of a consortium's intention to buy the club with Amanda Staveley, Jamie Reuben, son of David Reuben and Yasir Al-Rumayyan, governor of the Saudi Public Investment Fund, named as possible directors.
It remains to be seen if the Premier League react to the story but the Magpies were quick to issue a “no comment” status on Sunday night.
It is believed that Mike Ashley is currently out of the country after a week of bad press.
Ashley made a public appeal to the PM Boris Johnson to keep Sports Direct stores open only to be warned by Downing Street to stick the rules or face consequences.
Ashley’s factory workers then exposed dangerous conditions amid the virus pandemic.
A third dent in credibility came when NUFC initially ignored a reasonable approach from NUST for guidance on whether season tickets fees could be paused during the UK’s lockdown period which has seen many fans lose work.
The latest report in the Telegraph suggests PIF would take an 80% stake in United while Amanda Staveley and the Reuben Brothers would take 10% each.
When stories circulated from the Wall Street Journal in January, United sources claimed there had been no bid.
On January 31, Steve Bruce claimed that Lee Charnley had told him there was “nothing in it.”
He said then: “At the moment all he’s said is, ‘There’s nothing in it’. Okay, fine, let’s go to work and let’s see where we are.”