A mother has been accused of sharing drugs with her 15-year-old son before leaving him to die of an overdose without seeking medical help.
Dean Pugliese, described in an obituary as a 'loving son,' reportedly died from heroin and kratom toxicity.
Police found heroin in a glasses case underneath his body after being called to his home in Swatara Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on July 3 last year.
Nearly a year after his tragic death, his mum Jennifer Pugliese has been charged with homicide and child endangerment, Penn Live reports.
Pugliese, 49, allegedly accompanied her son to buy kratom, which the US Food and Drug administration have warned against using.
"FDA is concerned that kratom, which affects the same opioid brain receptors as morphine, appears to have properties that expose users to the risks of addiction, abuse, and dependence."
Pugliese reportedly told police she noticed her son became 'hot and sweaty and unwell' on July 2.
She claimed she thought Dean was suffering from heat stroke and gave him water.
At around 7pm that night, she had to vigorously shake him to wake him, it is alleged.
And later she allegedly heard him gasping but did not try and wake him or get medical help.
Dean was sadly found dead the next morning at around 7.30am, according to reports.
Pugliese is said to have changed her account of what happened several times.
An obituary says: "Dean A. Pugliese, Jr., 15, of Hummelstown, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday, July 3, 2019, at home.
"Born in Hummelstown, he was the loving son of Dean A. Pugliese, Sr., of Hummelstown, and Jennifer L. Pugliese of Harrisburg.
"Dean had completed his Freshman year with the Pennsylvania Cyber School.
"He enjoyed computer gaming, listening to music, and hanging out with his brother."